FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas 12 Won't Render past 22%

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Immanuel Tacky
Sony Vegas 12 Won't Render past 22%
on Apr 8, 2015 at 7:30:32 pm

Hello,

I edit on Premiere CS6 and use Sony vegas to caption roughly 28-30 minutes of footage. The files are mp4 files that are H.264 encoded. I usually just place the markers, render the file, and grab the .scc file that I need.

I've been using it for about 3-4 months now but about a week ago I started to experience a rather odd issue.

When I finished placing all the caption markers and begin to render it, it says that it will take about 20 minutes. Prior to this it ALWAYS finishes at 15 minutes. Furthermore, it gets stuck at 22% while the time continues. When the approximate time reaches 0, the elapsed time is about 29 minutes, and the progress bar is still at 22%, and it just keeps going and going. So I cancel it, and the video file appears to be fine. So does the .scc file.

This sudden change, however, has me worried since this is for broadcast purposes and has slowed down what was a very quick process.

The only thing that has changed when on my workstation since this began happening was when I installed Adobe After effects CC on the machine which works perfectly.

There is tons of space, and tbh I feel like I probably have my settings that are not optimized for my machine.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? It is really slowing down my workflow, and time is precious.

Specs:
CPU i7 4930K @ 4.5 GHz
Motherboard: Rampage IV Extreme
Ram: 32GB
Video Card: GTX 780ti OC
PSU: Seasonic 1050w Gold
HDD: Samsung Evo 500GB
Other Hard drives amount to 18TBs in total, 6TBs are raided
Windows 7. 64 bit

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sony Vegas 12 Won't Render past 22%
on Apr 9, 2015 at 1:46:13 am

I don't know why your render of a mp4 file would freeze all of a sudden. Try turning off GPU acceleration.

If you are just using Vegas Pro 12.0 to create the .scc file then you are wasting your time waiting for the render anyway. Vegas Pro writes the entire .scc file in the first few seconds of the render. Even if the render would complete, you should cancel it after a few seconds and grab the .scc file and go. No need to wait at all.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Immanuel Taz
on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:19:20 am

Thanks JR. I've always wondered when the .scc file was created, but was never sure so I just waited for the full render since I didn't want to risk damaging the file. But I will definitely be cancelling the render from now on due to this new info. Really appreciate the help.

@JF, I'll definitely try that out. Your solution actually seems to make sense since someting similar came across my mind, although I wasn't sure. I'll give it a go when I resume work on Friday. Thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it. :D

Return to posts index

JF Baez
on Apr 9, 2015 at 4:07:55 am

I have experienced a similar problem with vegas, my solution was and still is, changing the memory ram for video preview, in the preferences.

My system has 8gb of ram, in the video preview, vegas tells me that i can use 7100 mb available for video preview, when I let this with this amount, my renders never ends, they stay stuck at "x"percent, etc.

so, if you change the value to a lower value just before rendering, lets say from 7100mb(in my case) to 8-16-32-64gb of memory for video preview, it works, it always works.

give it a try, and try what J.R. replied to you, there is a lot of tricks avoid this kind of issues.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 10, 2015 at 11:16:01 am

[JF Baez] "My system has 8gb of ram, in the video preview, vegas tells me that i can use 7100 mb available for video preview, when I let this with this amount, my renders never ends, they stay stuck at "x"percent, etc."
This is a very bad idea. RAM preview steals RAM from rendering and everything else. It literally sets this memory aside for just the RAM preview function. Unless you need to temporarily set it to something higher than the default for a particular task that you are working on, I would leave this at the default of 200. I raise it to 1024 when working with BCC 3D Objects to increase the frame caching but then set it back before rendering. This is why you get a warning popup whenever you set it too high.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]