FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Settings for avi

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Sierra
Render Settings for avi
on Mar 24, 2015 at 4:20:11 pm

Hello. I'm new to Sony Vegas and I'm Trying to find the best way to render an avi file. When I go to custom settings, there are several options for the video format. It asks you to choose between the different codecs like the Sony YUV Codec, Xvid MPED-4 Codec, etc. Which one should I use and which settings should I use for that codec? I cropped some of the video in vegas and want to preserve the quality as much as possible when I render it.

Thank you.

Video Information: 720 x 540
29.970fps

Return to posts index

john bolton
Re: Render Settings for avi
on Mar 24, 2015 at 5:09:57 pm

Do you want to render to an AVI file or Render from an AVI file. What is your intended final file delivery format and what is the original file type.. Not quite sure what you are trying to do.. Regards John

Return to posts index

Eric Sierra
on Mar 25, 2015 at 2:14:09 pm

The original file was an .mp4 file. The only change I made in Vegas was use the Pan/Crop feature to crop it. Now, I want to render the file and keep as much of the quality as possible. I did some research and many people say rendering to .avi is the best way. However, I don't mind what the final delivery format is, as long as I can preserve the quality. I've tried many different ways and always find a significant loss of quality.

Thank you for the fast reply.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:02:46 pm

Eric, where did it come from and what size was the original file? i.e. was it HD or SD?

Return to posts index

Eric Sierra
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:15:21 pm

The file is SD, 720x540. It's a file I ripped from one of my DVDs.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:27:34 pm

Since it came from a DVD, you must have converted it as a DVD file is MPEG-2, not mp4.
To keep it in its original format, rename the original file from VOB to MPG and drag that into Vegas for processing.
If there is more than one VOB file and you want everything on the DVD, here's a trick I learned some time ago that works great.

Click File / Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and enter *.IFO in the File name input field.
For a regular DVD you will see a VIDEO_TS.IFO, and a VTS_01_0.IFO. Select the VTS_01_0.IFO file and click on Open.

Keep in mind that MPEG-2 is a lossy format and anything you do to change it is going to result in a loss of quality.
To minimize quality loss, I would render using the DV-AVI template, regular or widescreen. Make sure you use BEST mode for your render.

Return to posts index

Eric Sierra
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:26:23 pm

Just rendered the video like that and it definitely looks much better. I didn't know you could import VOB files directly to Vegas. Thank you very much for all your help.

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
on Mar 25, 2015 at 4:37:14 pm

You're welcome Eric. Glad that I could help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]