FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving a project to another machine

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
Moving a project to another machine
on Feb 26, 2015 at 11:49:03 am

Can anyone please explain how I might be able to move a half completed project to another machine...?

Obviously I can render out what I've already done and introduce that file to a new project on the new machine but just wondered if there is a sequence that works for moving the files without destroying the .veg file...?

While I'm on the subject... I've never tried but guessing we can perform all the same surgery within Vegas to a rendered file...?

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
Re: Moving a project to another machine
on Feb 27, 2015 at 4:02:11 am

Well yes Nick, moving projects is a snap but there are a few caveats.

The best case scenario is to have all the files in the same folder. Subfolders are fine but media on different drives may cause slight problems. When Vegas can't find a file it will give notice and provide some options to manually navigate to the file or do a search or leave the file off line. This is a great way to rebuild a Veg on a different system if there is a chaotic file system in play but will aid little if the camera used begins counting at the default counter once formatted. You may find multiple files of the same name.

Another option is to save the veg to a new folder. Choose "save as", create a new folder and check off "Copy media with project". the next option is the copy media option where one can choose to copy the source media or Create trimmed copies of the source media. I do not recall if the trimmed media option renders out new files but it suggests that Vegas will render something, an option I've never chosen. I choose the first option of copying the whole file.
This option does place all the files into the same folder so if you have anal tendencies towards organization it is a bit messy. Also I do not know if the media of embedded Veg files are transferred over to the new folder.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 2, 2015 at 1:08:11 pm

Russ.... thanks for the reply but I'm not totally sure I quite understand your info.

As I see it.... my .veg project file contains all the link info to where the video is stored... however I imported all the video for this project to my desktop (C: drive) thinking access will be much faster than via my old school USB 2.0 which this old machine has.

So... my desktop path to files also includes my user name which is what windows does by default.... so unless I can replicate that pathway on my new machine the veg file can't locate all the clips.

Is there a way to easily move my current project files over to en external USB 3.0 SSD then open my project and have it re-write all the pathways to a new veg file so I can then plug in to the new machine ensuring it has the same drive letter....?

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Mar 2, 2015 at 9:19:53 pm

Hi Nick,
Actually I gave precise instructions on how to accomplish this ;-). Perhaps my instructions were too detailed, my bad. So lets try this.
1 Make a new folder on your desktop.
2 open the desired Vegas project
3 Select "save as" and choose the new folder just created on the desktop as a desitnation.
4 In the "save as" popup check the "copy media with project" box
5 Click "save"
6 choose "copy source media" in the popup and press OK.
7 Move the new folder from the desktop to a new destination.
8 open Vegas project from new destination

Vegas will copy the media to the new folder and write the media path in the new veg. since the path is not absolute but rather relative you can move the folder wherever you wish. The new veg will search for the media files inside the new folder. Does that help to explain things better? If not let me know.
Russ Froze

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Mar 2, 2015 at 11:50:45 pm

No ... my bad Russ... apologies...

I was trying to do far too much at the same time and for some reason I got your reply to that thread mixed up in my head with another question and completely missed that you'd given me the instructions. Moral of the story... always go back and read through the question as well as the answer when you have multiple threads open... DOH !!!

Sorry... but thanks for your perseverance and yes that is all works perfectly as indeed it should.

Cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Russ Froze
on Mar 3, 2015 at 7:37:34 am

No worries...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]