FORUMS: list search recent posts

Finding duplicate events/media in timeline even if not exactly the same length

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lori Lin
Finding duplicate events/media in timeline even if not exactly the same length
on Feb 13, 2015 at 5:10:54 am

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a simple way to find duplicate media sections on the timeline even if they aren't exactly the same length. Like if -- from the same source media -- I've used frames 250-300 in one spot frames 275-325 somewhere else (frames 275-300 would be the duplicated parts).

I recently took over a project that was half edited (a music video with a couple hundred little clips from about 30 source files). It was really hard to keep track of whether I was accidentally adding sections of source material that had already been used.

Vegasaur can find duplicate media if the events are exactly the same length (at least that's how it's been working for me).

Am I missing something in Vegasaur that will do what I want? Is there some other script or extension that will do this? Thanks in advance!
Thanks,
Lori

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
Re: Finding duplicate events/media in timeline even if not exactly the same length
on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:41:36 am

You need a custom script that will do it.

Vegasaur finds duplicated events, for example duplicated images (length does not matter) or duplicated parts of the same media file (it compares timecode ins/outs).

Return to posts index

Lori Lin
Re: Finding duplicate events/media in timeline even if not exactly the same length
on Feb 13, 2015 at 10:45:50 am

Thanks, Aleksey. I have Vegasaur. Unless I'm doing something wrong, it only finds clips that are exactly the same in/out timecode. I've tested this and if I change the length of one of the clips, it will no longer find them in an audit.

I need something that will find any timecodes at all that have been used more than once. Would be happy to buy a custom script to do that ... any suggestions about how I might find one?

Cheers,
Lori

Return to posts index

Aleksey Tarasov
on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:44:16 am

> "Unless I'm doing something wrong, it only finds clips that are exactly the same in/out timecode"

You are not doing anything wrong, it was designed to work the way it works now.

You can use Project Media window to find media files that were used on the timeline more than once. Set view mode to Details and check Use Count column. Right-click a media file and choose Select Timeline Events

Return to posts index

Lori Lin
on Feb 14, 2015 at 6:22:05 am

Thanks again, Aleksey. I understand that I can find duplicate media FILES with the built in Vegas search, but that still doesn't really solve my problem. I might have 100 short events from the same FILE on my timeline. I need to see if there are any sections being used more than once. For instance, in this project I'm working on now, search tells me that one file was used 14 times. But it doesn't tell me which timecode sections of the file have been used -- if there's a script or other way for Vegas to search and list those results, that would be awesome.

Another thing: I realized that even being able to find any single frames of a media file that appear on the timeline more than once, that would be enough. Is there a script you know of (or something inside of Vegas) that will search and display that info? That would be a heck of a lot better than choosing "select events on Timeline" from the Project Media window and having to manually navigate through and check visually if anything appears more than once. My brain is really bad at that, but it's a perfect task for the computer.

This might seem like a dumb thing to need to do, but when you're doing energetic videos with tons of cuts and short events, having a quick way to audit for duplicates would be a huge timesaver. Especially when you take over a project you didn't edit from the beginning.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Feb 14, 2015 at 2:30:47 pm

[Lori Lin] "I'm looking for a simple way to find duplicate media sections on the timeline even if they aren't exactly the same length. Like if -- from the same source media"
You could use Find Events with Duplicate Media from VASST Audit Assistant ($9.95 USD):

That should do what you want.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Lori Lin
on Feb 14, 2015 at 10:32:22 pm

Thanks, John! Just bought it and will give it a try first thing tomorrow. Gonna be soooooo happy if it solves this annoying problem.
Cheers,
Lori

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]