FORUMS: list search recent posts

HUGE thanks to this community of experts

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
HUGE thanks to this community of experts
on Jan 28, 2015 at 6:03:01 pm

You know it's a conundrum...

Here at the COW we are in an international community that spans the range of video professionals who are fighting to meet their next deadline, to hobbyists who just want to preserve their video memories or record their game play, and to each one the answer to their specific question is important. The problem, of course, is that the skill set of these individuals varies widely as does the ages. We don't know if someone started editing just this week or have been doing so for years, or if they are 12 years old or 40 years old (which by the way, is no indication of their level of proficiency).

To be a good teacher, you must answer the student's question with a response that is appropriate for their level of understanding. This is easy in a classroom setting with prerequisites for the course but unfortunately here at the COW we don't know what their understanding is so we have to take cues from the way that the question is asked and make some assumptions. There aren't a whole lot of topics in video production where the answer is black & white, yet it may not be appropriate to explain all of the shades of grey to someone who just wants to know what parameter to use. So sometimes I take the liberty of simplifying my answers to give an answer that I feel is appropriate for the situation. Someone who doesn't realize this and is only reading that one answer may not fully understand that context.

I try not to over explain things unless someone asks why. If all you want is a simple answer, then I strive to make my answer as simple as possible, but no simpler. ;-)

~jr

I read this on a thread just now and it put into context exactly who the expert advise is coming from.

So mega thanks goes to JR from me... your time and effort helping guide me through the complexities of learning how to use the Vegas NLE and and intro to using special FX plug-ins is very much appreciated... you're a fabulous teacher who knows just how much something needs explaining in order to make me also think for myself, which in turn develops my understanding at a much deeper level.

BTW... I'm 54 years old physically but with a forever 21 yr old mindset. I've only been dabbling with NLE's since 2008 when I did my first BASE jump, though this was simply to string together video I shot. Only since last October have I begun attempting to make proper sense of NLE with Sony Vegas Pro 12 and the more I learn the more I want to learn... it's very addictive and I'd say that's because it brings out the creativity in me.

John... your time and effort is massively appreciated, especially from this tiny corner of the planet... and that goes for ALL the experts here at the CC community.

cheers... :-)

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: HUGE thanks to this community of experts
on Jan 28, 2015 at 9:18:41 pm

[Nick McMahon] "John... your time and effort is massively appreciated, especially from this tiny corner of the planet... and that goes for ALL the experts here at the CC community."
Hey Nick, thanks for the kind words and reminding me that I wrote that. We must all keep in mind that we were all newbies at some point. Next Monday I start teaching a graduate course at NYU and I'm really looking forward to teaching in a classroom setting again where I can jump and grunt and point at the board and interact with something other than just a keyboard and a display. ;-) Once again thanks. It's always good to be appreciated.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 28, 2015 at 11:29:07 pm

I wish you all the best running the graduate course at NYU... that's a very honourable posting... congratulations !!

...but my selfish side still hopes you'll still have a little time left to visit us here with our questions.

I'm also thinking about going back to school... on the other side.

There's a film school at Oxford which I'm going to enquire about enrolling in a full-time course and hoping they use Sony Vegas. Although, as I've discovered, it's not difficult to learn a principle in a different software editor and translate to Vegas.

Thinking of buying one of these to remove the limitations of the fixed lens Gopro.

http://www.back-bone.ca/product/ribcage-hero4-black/

onwards and upwards

cheers

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 31, 2015 at 9:38:27 pm

[Nick McMahon] "I wish you all the best running the graduate course at NYU... that's a very honourable posting... congratulations !!"
Thanks Nick. It's only once a week on Monday nights so I'm hoping it's more fun than work. ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Pat Adams
on Jan 31, 2015 at 7:33:51 pm

I agree with Nick. I got immediate answers to my questions about frustrating problems, and got them in terms even I, as a total newbie to Vegas, could understand.

All the time and effort put into this community is very much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]