FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is using 2 external hard drives at the same time while exporting a problem in SONY MOVIE STUDIO?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff David
Is using 2 external hard drives at the same time while exporting a problem in SONY MOVIE STUDIO?
on Jan 15, 2015 at 7:48:42 pm

I was saying in another post how I had problems with SERIF MOVIEPLUS video editing software - not being able to export.

I just thought of something (yup I know I should post this in the SERIF forum and I will also post it there).

I use two external drives as well as my internal drive on my current project.

Would using 2 external drives somehow be the reason the SERIF MOVIE PLUS can't export?

Yup I know I have to ask SERIF but just wanted to see what people here think.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Is using 2 external hard drives at the same time while exporting a problem in SONY MOVIE STUDIO?
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:46:54 pm

[Jeff David] "Would using 2 external drives somehow be the reason the SERIF MOVIE PLUS can't export?"
How are the external drives attached? If they use USB (especially USB 2.0) the data rate is probably shared across the bus meaning, each drive gets half the throughout of using just one drive. This could impact playback and rendering.

You could try copying the media all to one drive or even locally and see if that fixes the problem.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jeff David
Re: Is using 2 external hard drives at the same time while exporting a problem in SONY MOVIE STUDIO?
on Jan 15, 2015 at 10:35:03 pm

Wow maybe that is the problem.

The external drives are connected to 3.0 USB ports I (I have 2 3.0 ports, 64 bit Lenovo Thinkpad) but regardless if you are saying it splits the power then that could well be the problem.

AS it was explained to me by SERIF - MOVIE PLUS is only 32 bit software and so it limits the amount of GB'S available to process the export to only 2.5 and with large files, that causes exports to fail.

I have a 64 bit i7 quadcore but SERIF said it does not matter my computer has more resources than what Serif can even use as the 32 bit MOVIE PLUS limits.

Also SERIF told me that it's important for the files to be contiguous so that the editing program can catch enough data. So w 2 drives not only is the power split (I didn't know that till you told me) but also pulling from 2 external drives SERIF is prob just not grabbing enough data all together. Least ways that's the way someone explained it to me but now hearing that the power (data transfer rate is what I mean) is split - that might be the problem.

Yes - I plan to transfer the files so that I only have one external drive running.

Also a Microsoft tech is going to help me get the files contiguous. However that is done - least ways I hope the tech knows how to do that but he's a level 3 tech so he should.

Wow thanks for the info this really helps.

I'll post what the results are!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]