FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 different colour letters in Boris ToT...???

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick McMahon
2 different colour letters in Boris ToT...???
on Jan 8, 2015 at 11:50:19 pm

Hey there....

I've spent too long trying to work out how to change text colour in 'Type on Text' (used in my VP12) for individual letters but with no joy.

Doing so in the vegas PTT is straightforward enough... but if I try to do likewise with ToT I can't get the same result.

1. Can anyone tell me what the rainbow colour bar is at the bottom of the Text editing window in ToT...? when you click it changes from colour to B&W... and back to colour when you click again...?? I thought maybe it was for colouring text directly in the editor but I can't see how it does anything at all.

2. It seems that although I can select a block of letters within my text, only changes made within that window can be applied....?? changing colour of the text happens in the filter options but I can't get colour change to happen to only the letters I select in the text editing window.

I can't imagine that such a powerful tool doesn't have the ability to colour individual letters differently.. I must be missing something.

Please can you help...?

Nick

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: 2 different colour letters in Boris ToT...???
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:13:10 am

[Nick McMahon] "1. Can anyone tell me what the rainbow colour bar is at the bottom of the Text editing window in ToT...? when you click it changes from colour to B&W... and back to colour when you click again...?? I thought maybe it was for colouring text directly in the editor but I can't see how it does anything at all."
It's the color picker from Boris RED. It servers no purpose in Boris Continuum Complete. Perhaps they will add support for it in the future but the Text Editor in BCC is a scaled down version of what Boris RED has.
[Nick McMahon] "2. It seems that although I can select a block of letters within my text, only changes made within that window can be applied....?? changing colour of the text happens in the filter options but I can't get colour change to happen to only the letters I select in the text editing window."
You cannot change the color of individual letters. You can only change the Front, Back, Side, and Bevel materials.
[Nick McMahon] "I can't imagine that such a powerful tool doesn't have the ability to colour individual letters differently.. I must be missing something."
What you are missing is that Type on Text is a 3D Object and not really "text". The object is created from the text geometry but it's treated as a 3D object in BCC.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 9, 2015 at 12:23:21 pm

Thanks for that JR... I've gone ahead and made 2 different events and put one above the other.

So in top one I have "CRW" in RED and underneath in the track below I have "TEAM....SADERS" in blue and have them lined up to produce our team logo tho I'm sure there must be a better and easier way...?

I made them in 'Extruded text' to try out the shatter effect ..... can you please tell me how I can delay the shatter happening from the beginning of the event...?... and then play it in reverse so the shattered letters build together to create the team logo.

Also is there a way to use the pan/crop on the extruded text to keyframe a zoom...?... would I need to build the 3D text extrusion and then create an EPS file and bring that into a track...?

I've started watching your video tutorials... great way to learn stuff if you're on your own... cheers !!... and I've just found the 3D particle array video.... can I use PTT to create the text in the 2 different colours of our logo ..?... or would I need to do 2 different particle array events for the different colours of our logo?

I should watch the whole video first and maybe I wouldn't need to ask... I'm pre-empting questions... apologies

Any advise for working with the 2 colour text to create 3D animation would be much appreciated.

Nick

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 9, 2015 at 10:23:07 pm

[Nick McMahon] "So in top one I have "CRW" in RED and underneath in the track below I have "TEAM....SADERS" in blue and have them lined up to produce our team logo tho I'm sure there must be a better and easier way...?"
Yes there is. Create your team logo as an EPS file and use Extruded EPS instead. Here is my Boris TV episode that explains how:

Here is another Boris TV episode that I did for Final Cut Pro X. This shows working with EPS logos better and the controls in BCC are pretty much the same between FCP X and Vegas Pro. At a minimum it will give you an idea of how to do it in Vegas Pro.

[Nick McMahon] "I made them in 'Extruded text' to try out the shatter effect ..... can you please tell me how I can delay the shatter happening from the beginning of the event...?... and then play it in reverse so the shattered letters build together to create the team logo."
Under the Shatter options you want to change the Time Mode to Manual and then animate the Manual Time backward from a high amount for shattered down to zero when you want the logo to come together.
[Nick McMahon] "Also is there a way to use the pan/crop on the extruded text to keyframe a zoom...?... would I need to build the 3D text extrusion and then create an EPS file and bring that into a track...?"
You want to do all of your Zooming with the Camera that's built into the BCC 3D Objects. if you use Extruded EPS everything will be in one event.
[Nick McMahon] "I've started watching your video tutorials... great way to learn stuff if you're on your own... cheers !!... and I've just found the 3D particle array video.... can I use PTT to create the text in the 2 different colours of our logo ..?... or would I need to do 2 different particle array events for the different colours of our logo?"
You can do it with one 3D Particle Array. You just need to tell it to take the color information from the Layer and then it will pick up the colors from the PTT text.

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 9, 2015 at 11:34:02 pm

Many many thanks John....

It keeps the drive and motivation alive to be able to learn and get fast responses to the numerous questions that come up every time I work on a project...

While travelling today I was trying to come up with an answer myself to one of my previous post questions...

"can you please tell me how I can delay the shatter happening from the beginning of the event...?... and then play it in reverse so the shattered letters build together to create the team logo."

....and suddenly the penny dropped and I realised one way that I can create 3D text with the shatter effect and play in reverse.... sure enough as soon as I got home I tried it out and it works perfectly

1. With my twin event 3D Extruded text as described to replicate the team logo, I then simply render to a new track (and end up with a single event)
2. Now I can choose to play in reverse and freeze on the last frame and I have the result I wanted.
3. And of course I've now begun to learn how to use 'compositing' because I had to work out that I need to select 'Add' to allow the background video to show through from the track below so the 3D text animation is on top of the video as it's supposed to be.

I know that's not the easiest solution, but I find working stuff out like that (if I can) teaches me far more than just being told the answer.

I'm off to watch your videos to linked me to and get a handle on working with Extruded text EPS files... then try creating and using one and no doubt I'll have a question or 2 for you.

Nick

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 10, 2015 at 3:25:01 pm

[Nick McMahon] "I'm off to watch your videos to linked me to and get a handle on working with Extruded text EPS files... then try creating and using one and no doubt I'll have a question or 2 for you."
Glad I could help. Keep the questions coming. :)

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:45:17 am

Hi John....

This is the first one I did using one event on top of the other and adjusting the time with key framing to run backwards:

3D Logo2

I had to convert my Ai file to version 8 to open with Extruded EPS... much easier and because it's vector the end result is far better.
Once I 'render to new track' and then drop that above a video background I need to click on the compositing button and select 'Add' so the video below can be seen. When I do this the end result is that the text becomes slightly opaque. Is there a way I can remove the opacity so the extruded text animation is solid...?

Extruded EPS

Started working at using the particle array as per your tutorial.... and simply used PTT to get the colours

1. Is there a user guide that explains (shows) what every adjustment does within effects window so I can then try designing variations... I know one can simply try using each adjustment but some adjustments work in unison with others and that is hard to work out by trial and error with so many combos.

2. Can I use an Ai or EPS file inside the particle array...?

3. For some reason the glow and glint didn't like the red and blue... while trying to add them they only showed up on the green and yellow... I guess there must be a way to fix that...?

Particle array

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 13, 2015 at 6:12:22 pm

.... I've just had a quick look at opening the 3d extruded text instead of the titles and text in the plug-in chain before the particle array.

I don't think my processor is quite powerful enough... when I go to increase the number of particles to fill the screen I keep getting 'Not Responding' and it takes a few seconds to try and make the adjustments

So it is obviously possible and I'll try and see if I can get all the way through it to end up with the particles forming and solidifying into the 3D text... reckon that will look just that bit better with the font the team uses.

I need to build the editing computer of my dreams:
3.7ghz i7 quad core,
32GB DDR3 RAM,
6GB Nvidia GTX Titan Black,
striped RAID array
3 monitors (4k preview and 2 x 1080's for timeline and toolbox)

... tho finding the money for that is not simple... but I'm working on it !!

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 14, 2015 at 12:07:06 pm

[Nick McMahon] "I need to build the editing computer of my dreams: 3.7ghz i7 quad core, ...3 monitors (4k preview and 2 x 1080's for timeline and toolbox)"
If your future includes 4K you should be warned that Sony's minimum requirements for 4K is an 8-core CPU so a skimpy quad core isn't going to cut it. ( btw, I have a 12-core so I can't understand why anyone would build a new 4-core computer and think for a moment that it's going to be "powerful") 6-cores are now old technology (I've had one for 3 years now) and 8-cores are the new cutting edge. You need to dream a little bigger if your planning on editing 4K. ;-)

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 15, 2015 at 12:35:07 pm

If your future includes 4K you should be warned that Sony's minimum requirements for 4K is an 8-core CPU so a skimpy quad core isn't going to cut it. ( btw, I have a 12-core so I can't understand why anyone would build a new 4-core computer and think for a moment that it's going to be "powerful") 6-cores are now old technology (I've had one for 3 years now) and 8-cores are the new cutting edge. You need to dream a little bigger if your planning on editing 4K. ;-)

Is graphics card spec important with 4k...?

Out of keen interest what is your current editing system spec...? If I'm going to build one then taking advise from someone like yourself would seem like a smart move.

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:35:04 pm

[Nick McMahon] "Out of keen interest what is your current editing system spec...? If I'm going to build one then taking advise from someone like yourself would seem like a smart move."
My computer specs are in my profile under About but I'll repeat them here for your convenience:

Computer: 2010 Mac Pro
CPU: 2 x 2.93 GHz 6 Core Xeon X5670 (12 Cores / 24 Threads)
Memory: 24 GB ECC (Tripple Channel)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5870 1GB DDR5
Boot Drive: 480 GB PCI Express SSD OWC Mercury Accelsior_E2
Internal Storage: Apple RAID Card w/ 8TB RAID 5 (4x 2TB WD Black)
Blu-ray/DVD: Pioneer Blu-ray BD-RW BDR-2209
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite / Windows 7 64-bit w/Bootcamp

Obviously, I use a Mac Pro so you can't "build one". I bought this system used on eBay for $2275 (minus the SSD and Blu-ray which I added). When I need to use Vegas Pro for quick edits I just bring it up in VMware Fusion on my Mac desktop. When I need to use BCC9 or other GPU plug-ins I'll reboot into Windows 7 natively using Bootcamp. But mostly I'm using OS X these days which is why I bought a Mac Pro.

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 15, 2015 at 4:12:00 pm

This is going off topic in this thread but not sure how else to speak directly to you John...?

I realise you're well versed in several video editing suits so it makes sense that you have a Mac Pro and run Windows 7 thru bootcamp so you can play with FCP and Vegas.

The Mac Pro is an option I hadn't thought of but I don't have any need for a dualboot system tho it's always better to have it and not need it just in case something changes in the future.

This just came on ebay and wondering what you think is the most you'd bid for it as I have no idea of the value of Apple kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/Mac-Pro-mid-2010-12-Core-3-06GHz-16GB-RAM-AT...

BTW... I have a Sansung RV511 laptop with a 128gb Samsung 840 pro SSD upgrade running a mere i3 dual core (2.58GHz), 6gb RAM and Nvidia 315M 1gb graphics... and my Vegas Pro 12 although slow with FX rendering has never crashed.

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:31:40 pm

[Nick McMahon] "This just came on ebay and wondering what you think is the most you'd bid for it as I have no idea of the value of Apple kit"
The 2010 Mac Pro 3.06 Ghz 12-Cores are going for $3,000+ USD. That's why I settled for a 2.93 Ghz. I wasn't willing to spend that much but they do command a premium. If you can get that for less than $3K USD it's a good buy.

~jr

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 14, 2015 at 12:07:02 pm

[Nick McMahon] "I need to click on the compositing button and select 'Add@ so the video below can be seen. When I do this the end result is that the text becomes slightly opaque. Is there a way I can remove the opacity so the extruded text animation is solid...?"
You don't need to use Add. The background should already be instead. Using Add mode is what's causing your opacity problem.
[Nick McMahon] ". Is there a user guide that explains (shows) what every adjustment does within effects window so I can then try designing variations... I know one can simply try using each adjustment but some adjustments work in unison with others and that is hard to work out by trial and error with so many combos."
Click on the question mark (?) in the upper right of the FX window. It should bring up the help file for that BCC effect. This usually goes over all of the parameters.
[Nick McMahon] "2. Can I use an Ai or EPS file inside the particle array...?"
Yes, but it's only operating on a luma or alpha mask so it's not going to make a big difference. The mask will still be 2D.
[Nick McMahon] "3. For some reason the glow and glint didn't like the red and blue... while trying to add them they only showed up on the green and yellow... I guess there must be a way to fix that...?"
Perhaps adjusting the threshold will make it affect more of the image.

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 14, 2015 at 11:49:36 pm

[Nick McMahon] "I need to click on the compositing button and select 'Add' so the video below can be seen. When I do this the end result is that the text becomes slightly opaque. Is there a way I can remove the opacity so the extruded text animation is solid...?"

You don't need to use Add. The background should already be instead. Using Add mode is what's causing your opacity problem.

Sorry John... musta been tired when I wrote that.

Let's try again... I end up with a level of 'transparency of the text animation and I'd like it to be 100% opaque so you can't see the video event showing thru the text

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 15, 2015 at 1:18:34 pm

[Nick McMahon] "Let's try again... I end up with a level of 'transparency of the text animation and I'd like it to be 100% opaque so you can't see the video event showing thru the text "
You need to change the Compositing Mode of the Track that the text is on to Source Alpha. I can see from your screen capture that you currently have it set to Add. That's your problem.

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 15, 2015 at 2:11:10 pm

[Nick McMahon] "Let's try again... I end up with a level of 'transparency of the text animation and I'd like it to be 100% opaque so you can't see the video event showing thru the text "

You need to change the Compositing Mode of the Track that the text is on to Source Alpha. I can see from your screen capture that you currently have it set to Add. That's your problem.

If I have it set to source alpha (default) I can't see the video track underneath... just so we're on the same page I'm building the 3D text in a separate vegas window so it's putting the least amount of strain on my processor for trying to see the adjustments in real time ... then rendering to a new track... and finally copying the rendered event to my project track above the video.

However as I've just found out if I copy the unrendered event across to my project the 3D text is not transparent but totally opaque as required.

Can you please explain why this is so...?

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 15, 2015 at 8:54:13 pm

[Nick McMahon] "If I have it set to source alpha (default) I can't see the video track underneath... just so we're on the same page I'm building the 3D text in a separate vegas window so it's putting the least amount of strain on my processor for trying to see the adjustments in real time ... then rendering to a new track... and finally copying the rendered event to my project track above the video."
I didn't realize that you rendered the FX. You didn't render it properly. You need to render it with an alpha channel. You'll need to create a template under QuickTime that uses the Animation codec set to 32-bit so that you get an alpha channel. Then drop that on the track and set the Alpha Channel of the event to Straight (Unmated).

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 15, 2015 at 9:59:53 pm

I didn't realize that you rendered the FX. You didn't render it properly. You need to render it with an alpha channel. You'll need to create a template under QuickTime that uses the Animation codec set to 32-bit so that you get an alpha channel. Then drop that on the track and set the Alpha Channel of the event to Straight (Unmated).

~jr

Thanks.... thought there had to be something I'd missed... Job done... :-)

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 17, 2015 at 1:16:30 pm

Looks Good! :-D

~jr

Return to posts index

Nick McMahon
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:44:25 am

It's coming along nicely.... I'm such a perfectionist tho and I keep thinking I'm done with the intro and then I can't turn the brain off and constantly come up with ways to improve on it.

Which plug-in would I use to bring each letter of a 3D text extrusion into the frame separately... from different directions off the screen and fly on to build the word...?

The particle array section is done and dusted and looks really good on the timelapse background of the milky way... as I said I think I'd like to create the same intro that solidifies into a 3D version of the text in my next project.

Do you know of a different plug-in for that to work..?

Btw... once this current 2014 team highlights video is complete I'll send you a link to it on the team Vimeo channel

Nick... BASE1268

3...2...1...C ya

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:11:45 am

[Nick McMahon] "Which plug-in would I use to bring each letter of a 3D text extrusion into the frame separately... from different directions off the screen and fly on to build the word...?"
That would be BCC Type On Text. Here is an example in FCP X:

~jr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]