FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas ruins the resolution of my .wmv file?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlotte Ryoshi
Sony Vegas ruins the resolution of my .wmv file?
on Dec 15, 2014 at 9:11:09 am

I'm still kinda new to sony vegas, but I have a problem where when I put my video into sony vegas (original size 1680 x 1010) it seems to make the video smaller in resolution and most of the quality is lost.

1.jpg <--- This is what happens

See the black outlining the video? This happens whether I set the project to 1080p or 720p. If I change the project settings to match the video, its ok unless I try to change it to render at 720p or anything except for the original resolution. I could just keep the original resolution all the way through editing but I can't upload it to youtube without that ruining the resolution.

I also can't record at a default resolution, because it would cut some of the recorded area off if I tried.

Does anyone have a solution to this? It would help me so much :D

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Sony Vegas ruins the resolution of my .wmv file?
on Dec 15, 2014 at 1:27:38 pm

[Charlotte Ryoshi] "I'm still kinda new to sony vegas, but I have a problem where when I put my video into sony vegas (original size 1680 x 1010) it seems to make the video smaller in resolution and most of the quality is lost."
Hi Charlotte, It looks like you are capturing a tutorial to WMV. Using WMV is not the best option. WMV is a lossy delivery format and is horrible for video editing. Vegas Pro in particular, doesn't handle editing WMV very well and it can't even edit the audio; it must make an audio proxy. In short, you don't want to be editing WMV files so my first recommendation is you stop capturing to that format. WMV is optimized for showing movies and not for showing the fine details of screen captures.

Since you are doing tutorials you should look into professional software like TechSmith Camtasia to do this. Camtasia is more than just a capture tool. It's an editor and comes with the excellent TechSmith codec. If you can't afford Camtasia, you can also record video with TechSmith SnagIt, or the FREE TechSmith Jing. I don't know what you are using to create your captures but I'm guessing it's some free Microsoft tool (not the best).

I know a little about this topic as I do all of the Boris TV episodes for Vegas Pro. ;-)
[Charlotte Ryoshi] "See the black outlining the video? This happens whether I set the project to 1080p or 720p."
The black outline is the difference between the 1920x1080 of the project and the 1680x1010 of your video. 1680 is 240 pixels short of 1920, and 1010 is 70 pixels short of 1080 which makes up the black border that you are seeing.
[Charlotte Ryoshi] "I also can't record at a default resolution, because it would cut some of the recorded area off if I tried."
Ahhh... but you can adjust your application to fit. Here is the secret to getting high quality screen captures (don't tell anyone). ;-) You want to capture at the same resolution you will deliver but if you can't, you at least want to capture at the same aspect ratio. You are delivering 1920x1080 which is 16:9. This means you want to capture at an aspect of 16:9. Since your PC display is only 1680 wide, you should limit your capture to 1680x945. This will match your project in Vegas Pro with no black bars. So resize the application you are using to 1680x945 and only capture the top 1680x945 of your screen and everything will look great when you get it into Vegas Pro.

Below is a tutorial I did on my MacBook Pro which has a screen resolution of 1680x1050. I resized the application I was demoing (FCP X) to be 1680x945 and used Camtasia to capture just that area of the screen. You'll notice that the text is crisp and clear even though I delivered this to Boris TV as 720p.

Feel free to ask more questions.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Charlotte Ryoshi
on Dec 15, 2014 at 3:35:17 pm

You are a genius! Thank you for the smart idea of resizing the aplication itself that I'm recording (how did I not think of that?). Ill look into the program you mentioned. Thank you so much for the help!

Although, I do have a bunch of files that I've already recorded in .wmv. Should I just crop the video and hope for the best? Or convert the video into another file type?

(Again thank you for the quick, thought out and detailed response, you are a life saver!)

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Dec 15, 2014 at 4:26:36 pm

[Charlotte Ryoshi] "Thank you for the smart idea of resizing the aplication itself that I'm recording (how did I not think of that?)."
You probably didn't think of it because you didn't realize that keeping the same aspect ratio was the key. The problem is that text is very thin and when video gets resized, the text starts to blur because resizing involves averaging pixels which actually blurs them. I learned this from a lot of trial and error.
[Charlotte Ryoshi] "Although, I do have a bunch of files that I've already recorded in .wmv. Should I just crop the video and hope for the best? Or convert the video into another file type?"
I would not crop the video. Since 1920x1080 is larger than your capture, centering your captured file with black bars should yield 1:1 results. You might want to place a Grey Solid Generated Media on a track below the video so that the black bars are the same shade of grey as your user interface. This might not look bad at all. You could even watermark it with your name or a logo and people will think you planned it to be that way.

You could try and convert the files if Vegas seems to lose too much quality. I would convert them to a lossless codec like Lagarith. That should preserve whatever quality you have.
[Charlotte Ryoshi] "(Again thank you for the quick, thought out and detailed response, you are a life saver!)"
You are very welcome. I'm glad that I could help and the art work looks very nice so if you don't mind, I'd like to have a link to the final video so that I can watch it. I'm a bit of an artist myself and I'm always interested in other artists work. (maybe I'll even learn something) ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]