FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems applying audio Fx to part of soundtrack

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Solis
Problems applying audio Fx to part of soundtrack
on Aug 22, 2014 at 6:59:31 am

Hi there,
I have a clip that I'm editing with Vegas Pro 12 but there are problems because I am trying to apply an effect to PART of the audio track. The effect is called Izotope Vinyl and has parameters like noise, dust, scratches, etc., that need to be applied. The issue is that if I use Fx automation in order to fade in/out the effect at a certain point Vegas creates one envelope for each parameter, which is a big problem because of the many keyframes I have to create to fade in/out parameters one by one. What I'm looking for instead is a sort of envelope that allows me to apply and fade the whole effect all at once with a maximum of two keyframes. Is this possible? Thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Rick McClellan
Re: Problems applying audio Fx to part of soundtrack
on Aug 22, 2014 at 5:15:15 pm

Create an Audio Envelope instead of FX Automation.
Go to your Vegas help and search "Audio Envelope" to show you how to adjust the envelope (it helps to see the picture in he help file).

To create the Audio Envelope:

Go to toolbar and click on Insert and choose FX-Automation
Then select the Tab for the processor to automate (Izotope Vinyl).
Put a check in the parameter than you want to control and click OK.
At that point a colored line will be added to your audio track on the timeline. You then manually create envelopes to bring the effect in and out. (Refer to the help file about the steps)

When you raise or lower the line you are adjusting the effect parameter. You double click on the line to create an envelope point.
In the help file look at adjust envelope points for clarification.

It is very easy to do.

As a side note. If you have already used FX Autiomation to write in the effect and all of the automation dots bother you, you can thin them out. Right click on the automation line and select "Thin All Points".

Hope that helps.
Regards, Rick.

Return to posts index

Diego Solis
on Aug 23, 2014 at 12:45:24 am

Thank you for the prompt response. I've used the automation option exactly the way you describe it and that is the problem. Instead of creating one colored line to automate Izotope Vinyl as a single unit Vegas uses one colored line per parameter (dust, distortion, gain, etc.), which forces me to use five to ten keyframes best case where I could use two at the most. I wish it was easier.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 24, 2014 at 3:02:11 pm

[Diego Solis] "... to automate Izotope Vinyl as a single unit Vegas uses one colored line per parameter (dust, distortion, gain, etc.), which forces me to use five to ten keyframes best case where I could use two at the most. I wish it was easier."
If you want to fade it in I agree it's a lot of parameters to adjust because Vinyl doesn't have a master amount fader. If you just wanted to turn it on and off then automate the Global Bypass parameter. It may be easier to split the event and apply Vinyl to just a section and they overlap the event on each end to make it fade in and out.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Diego Solis
on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:22:17 am

Great idea, John! That's what I ended up doing: I duplicated the audio track, applied Vinyl to the duplicate only and cut out the parts I didn't need. Then I faded in/out as necessary and adjusted levels to even out volume of the mix. The original track was left untouched and no keyframes were used. Thank you very much for the suggestion!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:10:39 am

You're welcome. There's always more than one way to get things done in Vegas Pro. That's one of the things I like about it.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]