FORUMS: list search recent posts

My Rendered Video Keeps Dropping Frames at times.

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnny Jonson
My Rendered Video Keeps Dropping Frames at times.
on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:52:41 pm

I Rendered my video out several times using these settings
I'm using vegas pro 12 and my video properties are...
- 1920x1080
- Field order (none)
- Pixel aspect ratio: 1,0000 (square)
- stereoscopic 3D mode: Off
- Pixel format: 8 bit
- Full resolution rendering quality: Best
- Motion blur type: Gaussian
- Deinterlace method: none
- Adjust source media to better match project or render settings: Un-ticked

- Composting gamma and view transform are both greyed out but their settings are:
- Composting gamma: 2.222 (video)
- View transform: Off

RENDER SETTINGS are "Sony MXF" and these are the properties:

- Video format: HD
- Frame size: 1920x1080
- Frame rate: 29.970
- Aspect ratio: 16:9
- Field order: Progressive
- Prioritize quality over speed: Ticked/checked
- Video quality slider: High [31] (The maximum amount)
- Bit rate (Mbps): 50 (CBR)- HQ
- Profile: 422

[AUDIO]

Audio Format: PCM Uncompressed
Sample rate (Hz): 48,000
Bit depth: 24
Channels: 2

RENDER [PROJECT] TAB

- Video rendering quality: Use project settings
- Stereoscopic 3D mode: Use project settings
- Colour space: Default

..but everytime I watch the rendered video it's really choppy and it will keep dropping frames for some reason.. It's strange because I watched the raw Fraps footage of the video I was editing and everything was recorded perfectly without any fps drops.

Can anyone help me because this is driving me insane!

Note: I have also tried other codecs such as .mp4 but nothing changes. Also,my PC is well capable so it should work like usual whenever I render a video.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Rick McClellan
Re: My Rendered Video Keeps Dropping Frames at times.
on Aug 21, 2014 at 2:44:21 am

Johnny, if I'm understanding the problem correctly your rendered file is not playing back at full framerate when you bring it back into Vegas for a playback. This can happen when your project settings do not match the file in your timeline. Have you tried using the "Match Media Settings Button" under project settings? This will match your project settings to your media. This improves playback framerate because less conversion is needed on the fly which eats system resources. You could also experiment with the preview monitor quality settings to see if this improves playback framerate. Lastly, is Vegas attempting to use GPU Acceleration of your graphics card. Some cards that are not up to the task can actually degrade playback framerate. I have such a card on my edit computer at work. My framerate is best with the GPU acceleration disabled. On the other hand, Vegas loves my home computers graphics card acceleration. Hope that one of these suggestions helps you out. Regards, Rick.

Return to posts index

Johnny Jonson
on Aug 21, 2014 at 1:41:38 pm

Hey Rick :)
Thanks for the reply!

GPU acceleration is off and I'm playing the rendered video back on VLC media player but the video still drops fps every few 5-10 seconds.
I'll try your "match media settings button" possible fix and hopefully it'll work :)

I've also tried putting the video properties to 30fps like the render settings but nothing changed :(
The source footage is 60fps. (Rendering at 30fps).

+ I'm not quite sure but I think the video might be dropping frames on the timeline preview now too (not positive but it looks like it.. Strange,because like I said before.. the raw source footage is smooth without any fps drops. :o

Return to posts index

Rick McClellan
on Aug 21, 2014 at 2:35:16 pm

Can you give us info regarding your source file and the file that you rendered? Some file types in HD would be difficult for a computer to playout at full framerate.

Return to posts index

Johnny Jonson
on Aug 21, 2014 at 2:46:17 pm

Sure,
I recorded the video game with Fraps at 60fps (although it wouldn't stay at 60fps,it would go to 30,40,50..)
My render settings I mentioned above in my first post.
I tried render at a lower bit rate but the problem persisted. Strange because I usually use these render settings and the result is fine.

Return to posts index

dan video
on Aug 21, 2014 at 6:58:33 pm

that's happening to me too!!

Return to posts index

Johnny Jonson
on Aug 21, 2014 at 9:06:55 pm

Glade I'm not the only one! :)
Hopefully we can get it fixed soon!

Return to posts index

Rick McClellan
on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:52:48 pm

Can you upload the video so that I can see if it is playback issue or problem with the file itself? My email address is rickmac06@frontier.com if you want to send me a link.

Return to posts index

Johnny Jonson
on Aug 22, 2014 at 1:30:04 am

sure,
here's an example...
(Raw footage is smooth)

Return to posts index

Rick McClellan
on Aug 22, 2014 at 2:41:21 pm

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for posting the video. The motion is most certainly choppy on the render and if I understand properly, the motion is smooth on the source video. This would be my suggestion.

1) Pull the source clip back into the timeline. Use the match media button in your project settings to set your project settings to match your source video. Playback your timeline and see if the motion is smooth. If it is, go to render as and choose a render setting that has an = sign beside it. This will render your video matching the settings of your source file. Hopefully that worked. If not, try idea 2.

2) If after matching the project settings to the clip your motion is not smooth in the preview window, right click on the video on the timeline. A popup box will appear, select properties and select the media tab. There you will find "Field Order". You have 3 choices here, none, upper, and lower. Try selecting each option and see if the clip's motion plays out smooth in the preview window. If one of them does playback smooth use that setting. What can happen is that by default Vegas may chose the wrong field order for your clip. If the source clip is interlaced (not progressive)and the wrong field order is selected, your motion will be choppy. What we are now doing is forcing Vegas to interpret it differently. If changing the field order gets a smooth playback then render your video using that field order.

That is all I got. If that does not help perhaps someone else may have some ideas.

Regards, Rick.

Return to posts index

Johnny Jonson
on Aug 22, 2014 at 6:55:41 pm

Unfortunately,neither of those worked :(
Although,I did notice that starting a new project and importing source file again from fresh...fps is kind of a bit better. (Still somewhat choppy tho :( )

Thanks for taking the time out to help!
Thanks! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]