FORUMS: list search recent posts

Positive and negative masks for my wedding video

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Carsten
Positive and negative masks for my wedding video
on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:57:50 am

Hi guys, I am video editing my wife and I’s wedding video (no pressure) and I’m having issues in the very first scene! Here is the 20 second low-quality opening clip (http://bit.ly/WLiVBR). I have two issues:

Firstly, the video is in reverse as the videographers didn’t get a pan from right to left (i.e. panning into the canvas). It’s resulted in some cars reversing up the street and at 10 seconds, a couple walking backwards. Is there any effect, technique or idea anyone has to subtlety conceal this? I tried a blur but it’s too obvious.

My other problem is probably a little more technical (for me anyway). As you’ll see the clip is black and white except for the canvas, which is in colour. I did this by adding black and white to the clip, going to event pan/crop, clicking mask, applying the mask to fx, and then just using anchor creation tool to cut out the canvas and making it a negative mask. I want to make the canvas brighter though so the colour stands out more on the black and white. How do I do this, as I’m already using a negative mask for the black and white effect, so I can’t simply add colour and create a mask in event pan crop, as it will just add colour to the areas outside of the canvas.

Thanks so much!

Jamie

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
Re: Positive and negative masks for my wedding video
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:24:51 am

OK, I'll try and rephrase my second issue. How do I make the canvas both colour AND brighter on a black and white background? Would really appreciate any help.

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Jul 31, 2014 at 11:13:41 am

Well sorry Jamie. I for one cannot understand or picture what you are trying to do. Maybe that is why you have had no responses yet. If you post some screen shots (which I think you INTENDED to do) it might help us all.

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Aug 1, 2014 at 7:38:19 am

The HTTP link in you Message is set to private so it cannot be viewed. As Phil says, can't imagine what you are trying to do or why the video was done in reverse....

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
on Aug 1, 2014 at 12:33:15 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies and apologies for the confusing questions and making the video private. I thought it would still work so long as you had the URL but obviously not. I've since changed it so it should be viewable now.

John, hopefully now that you're able to see the video you'll see why I would like it in reverse. I want to pan into the canvas. It's just not as cool an intro when it opens with the canvas then pans away from it.

At the 15 second mark the canvas is nice and bright and the colours really pop against the black and white background. From the 5 second mark however (when the canvas comes into frame) until 15 seconds it's a lot duller, and I'd like a way to try and brighten it up. I'm already using the mask tool in event pan/crop for the black and white effect however, so can't simply cut the canvas out and add brightness to it. Is there any way to add brightness to just the canvas area as well as the colour effect I already have going on?

Also, any ideas to cover up those people walking backwards haha?

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Aug 2, 2014 at 6:27:15 am

Got it!! OK, the car going backwards - happens all the time in car parks of course so u can probably get away with that but people walking backwards through car parks - probably not so often eh. But you should easily and quickly be able to overcome your two issues with a couple of overlaid tracks and some judicious use of masking/track motion/key framing and parent/child compositing.
Let us know how you go.

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
on Aug 3, 2014 at 9:29:20 am

Great thanks, I'll give it a crack and let you know how I get on!

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Aug 5, 2014 at 8:55:16 am

Hi Jamie. Not sure how you got on but I had a thought. I screen captured your Video ( low res about 640 ish ) and then in Vegas I took 7 capture clips along the time line. I then opened Photoshop and used the Photo merge and then Warp to make a panorama picture. The final Panorama picture needs more time that the speed that I did it in to get a more perfect picture but I was only seeing if it was possible....I put the Panorama picture into Vegas and the using the Track Motion scaled it and key framed it to slide across the screen in the same way the video was done.. The quality on this attempt is poor as I only had low res video to start with but if you really get stuck then it is worth a try wit the original HI Res..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ndlzb3gxzvi8qmi/panning_1.mpg

Regards John

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Aug 5, 2014 at 10:52:31 am

Hi Jamie. If you do use a Panorama still you can brighten up the image on the easel if you outline it in Photoshop and then use the Shadows and Highlights as I have done in the example here. ( but using my very low res screen capture of course ). Just trying to give you some ideas........

Would be great to have that part of the video in High res original to play with :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prxsneixqhtjkri/brighter.mpg

Regards John

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
on Aug 8, 2014 at 1:59:53 am

Hi John,

Thanks heaps for that. That's exactly what I was meaning! Let me give your attempt a go and I will let you know how I get on...

Thanks again!
Jamie

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:40:44 am

Hi Jamie. Did you make any progress?

Return to posts index

Jamie Carsten
on Nov 1, 2014 at 11:34:05 am

Hi John,

Here was my final product. The clip in question is at 00:16-00:21. I couldn't really nail down the effect so just zoomed in on the canvas instead.

Thanks again for your help!
Jamie

Return to posts index

john bolton
on Nov 1, 2014 at 11:40:58 am

Hi Jamie It looks good and did solve that problem I do appreciate the feedback, Best regards John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]