FORUMS: list search recent posts

Transitions - fades without losing frames?

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Cooper
Transitions - fades without losing frames?
on Jun 30, 2014 at 2:22:16 am

I'm using Sony Movie Studio Platinum and I was wondering if it was possible to do fades (dissolves) without losing frames? Ive done a few cross-fades on the time line but a frames are always chopped off with those. Also, is it possible to do 'lossless' fades without having to drag an effect down from the effects window? I would prefer a shortcut like pressing a key.

Return to posts index

Patrick Cooper
Re: Transitions - fades without losing frames?
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:38:04 am

I think Ive found the kind of fade transition I'm looking for. However, I want the transition to last longer. According to a PDF help guide I have, it says to hover the cursor over the edge of the transition until I see a fade cursor symbol appear. Unfortunately, the transitions are not marked on the timeline. However, Ive set one up at the very end of a clip so I assume that's where the edge of the fade would be. Problem is that no such symbol appears when I hover the cursor over it.

I do note that after dragging the transition down to the timeline and letting go of the mouse, a dialogue box appears that shows a range that you can change from 0000 to 1.000. I deleted the '1' and replaced it with a '2', a '3' and later a '4' for 4000 but this makes no difference to the duration of the transition. I notice there's no 'Okay' option in the dialogue box - I just assume the changes are made when Ive exited the box.

Return to posts index

Edward Troxel
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:23:30 pm

You create crossfades in Vegas by overlapping events. The farther you overlap the events, the longer the crossfade. You then drag a transition down to the crossfade if you don't want a standard dissolve. However, the same is true with a transition - the longer the overlap, the longer the transition.

Edward Troxel

Return to posts index

Patrick Cooper
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:54:02 pm

Yes, that's the case with cross fades. But in this instance, I don't want any overlap. In other words, I don't want any lost frames. According to my PDF help menu, you can drag transitions to make them longer but I can't seem to do that.

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:45:34 am

What Edward is saying is that, in order to have a transition, the two events NEED to overlap. You cannot fade from one to another without some of the event not being shown. That is the very nature of a dissolve. You can have a dissolve transition, where one event's image slowly changes to show a second event's image or a fade to black (or whatever colour) and then a fade from black transition. The first option you will see all the frames although some will eventually become none recognisable as the second event will superimpose it. With the second option obviously some of the frames will be various shades of grey to black.
If you do not want any frames 'lost' then it is simply a cut, ie, two events butted together. This is the most common 'transition'.

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
on Jul 1, 2014 at 3:52:57 am

Patrick, it sounds as though you MAY be confusing fades with transitions. If you hover over the end of an event in the right spot (top right corner) your cursor changes to a kind of quarter circle image. If you drag this to the left it will create a fade to black (assuming there is no underlying track) and its duration will depend on just how far you drag it. You achieve the same effect by dragging a default dissolve transition onto the end of an event. Likewise, you can do the same at the beginning of an event.
I do not have Studio so some of what you describe I may not be able to emulate on my system, sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]