FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering issues (fresh meat here...)

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emily Schooley
Rendering issues (fresh meat here...)
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:44:03 am

Hi all,
Somewhat new here and new to the finer points of video editing and output... I'm working on a couple of projects at the moment that have left me with a lot of *headdesk* and feeling like there's got to be a better way that takes less time and space with rendering.

I am running Sony Vegas Platinum 9, and my computer has 4GB RAM with an i3 processor.... Yes, I know that's a bit behind the times. I'm looking at getting a dedicated rendering desktop but that's a whole other project.

I have the Canon XA10 camera, and all my footage is shot and captured at 1920x1080x32, 29.970p. MTS file format, with audio recorded in mono (my partner is an audio guy... I leave that up to him)

Project One is a nearly an hour long stage production that I filmed, and I need it rendered out in Quicktime - it's going to a Mac user. Right now, that's what my laptop is chugging away on. It's going to be a 4-5 hour render, with the footage downsized to a 720x480 .mov in the final output. I tried rendering it at 1280x720, and the render crapped out at 90% after totally filling my hard drive and wasting five hours of my time. I'm using the AVID codec DNxHD (found it recommended). This will be a digital-only file.

Project Two is a 7 minute short film that I shot. I have a 950MB m2t file (1280x720) but I want to both share it online with Mac And PC users and burn it to DVD to send to film festivals. I feel like I'm really not using the best settings that I could be, and I know m2t doesn't generally play nice with Mac. I tried rendering a Quicktime file but it was over a GB.... I want this footage to be at the best possible quality. I tried to render it as an MP4 using the Sony option, and the render just kept crashing. It will render as a smaller MP4 at 640x480 using the other option/codec (main concept, I think?) but I can't get it any bigger than that.

I would love any insights, as well as help or links where I can learn about different codecs and file formats and what to use.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Rendering issues (fresh meat here...)
on May 3, 2014 at 7:13:27 pm

[Emily Schooley] "I am running Sony Vegas Platinum 9, and my computer has 4GB RAM with an i3 processor.... Yes, I know that's a bit behind the times. I'm looking at getting a dedicated rendering desktop but that's a whole other project."
It not so much that it's behind the times, even a brand new Core i3 is significantly underpowered for video work. Also Movie Studio Platinum 9 can only take advantage of 2GB of your 4GB of memory because it's a 32-bit application. Your long rendering times are not surprising at all.
[Emily Schooley] "Project One is a nearly an hour long stage production that I filmed, and I need it rendered out in Quicktime - it's going to a Mac user. Right now, that's what my laptop is chugging away on. It's going to be a 4-5 hour render, with the footage downsized to a 720x480 .mov in the final output. I tried rendering it at 1280x720, and the render crapped out at 90% after totally filling my hard drive and wasting five hours of my time. I'm using the AVID codec DNxHD (found it recommended). This will be a digital-only file."
Why are you rendering to Avid DNxHD? Is this Mac user going to further edit the file? That's a digital intermediary format and not a final delivery format. I would only use that if it was going be further edited on the Mac. Otherwise render to MainConcept AVC with the Internet HD 1080p template for distribution on both Mac and PC.
[Emily Schooley] "Project Two is a 7 minute short film that I shot. I have a 950MB m2t file (1280x720) but I want to both share it online with Mac And PC users and burn it to DVD to send to film festivals. I feel like I'm really not using the best settings that I could be, and I know m2t doesn't generally play nice with Mac. I tried rendering a Quicktime file but it was over a GB.... I want this footage to be at the best possible quality. I tried to render it as an MP4 using the Sony option, and the render just kept crashing. It will render as a smaller MP4 at 640x480 using the other option/codec (main concept, I think?) but I can't get it any bigger than that."
You are on the right path with rendering to MainConcept AVC with one of the Internet HD 720p... templates. Those will give you high quality with small fuel size and play easily on both Mac's and PC's. DVD requires MainConcept MPEG-2. Use one of the DVD Architect templates and render the audio as Dobly Digital AC3.

Although since you are using Movie Studio, just press the Make Movie button and follow the prompts. You don't need to know anything about render templates. Just select DVD for making the DVD or any of the other options.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]