FORUMS: list search recent posts

Remove a segment on the time line

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francois Mazerolle
Remove a segment on the time line
on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:44:00 pm

So I did something in Vegas 11.0.
Then I realized there's a segment I wanted to remove in the middle of hundred of clips.

To simplify, let's pretend my time line is like this:
ABCDEFG

And I want to remove 'D', so I click the D clip and delete it.
Now I have:
ABC_EFG ... _ being a blank... 15 minutes of nothing.

I'd like to remove the blank by "deleting the time" from 10 minutes to 25 minutes, so that C and E are now next to each other.

The menu Insert->Duration let you insert time, but how do we delete it ?

I could spend time selecting about 150 clips that are EF and G, but this would take a while, and I could very well miss one clip and screw everything up...

Any solution ?

Return to posts index

Mike Kujbida
Re: Remove a segment on the time line
on Apr 12, 2014 at 2:36:16 am

This is Vegas so there's more than one way to do what you want.
The easiest is to to enable Auto Ripple by clicking on the toolbar icon and dragging event E (what Vegas calls a segment or a clip) to the left. This will bring everything else along with it. Make sure that you have the appropriate option (Affected Tracks, Affected Tracks, Bus Tracks, Markers, and Regions, or All Tracks, Markers, and Regions) selected in the crop down box next to this tool. Be sure to disable this option immediately after rippling ot it may mess you up without you realizing it. Been there, done that :)
This can also be done with keyboard shortcuts. F, Ctrl+F and Ctrl+Shift+F are the appropriate commands.
The online help menu goes into this in greater detail so I suggest looking at it for clarification.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Apr 12, 2014 at 5:51:52 pm

I would go with Mike's first suggestion: Turn on Ripple Edit. Delete the event. Turn off Ripple Edit. Done.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Francois Mazerolle
on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:29:17 am

Not sure how this is an improvement over selecting an area, right click, delete selected time.

Are Sony make meeting on how to make things less intuitive ?
Like the "right click: split", where is that now ? That was super easy and awesome !

Adding more click and cryptic non-self-explanatory icons that require to be activated and de-activated every time you use them is not very helpful.

On the other hand I'm a big fan of Keyboard shortcut... but you have to find them first, and if the shortcut is in no menu, it's as obvious and intuitive as an Easter egg...

Ps.: Big fan of Vegas here, just not sure I understand some changes made since the previous version... When you go thought all context menus and file bar menu and don't find what you need... something is wrong :-S ( like this )

Return to posts index

Jorma Nippala
on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:43:32 am

What's wrong with Mike's Post-Edit Ripple suggestion then?
("can also be done with keyboard shortcuts. F, Ctrl+F and Ctrl+Shift+F are the appropriate commands.")
And split with S, how can that be difficult?
These are in the menus too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]