FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu ray menu with DVD A

COW Forums : VEGAS Pro

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Johnson
Blu ray menu with DVD A
on Jun 21, 2014 at 11:36:35 pm

I've been in the FCP7 camp for a few years now and menu options as most of you know, well....suck. It's been suggested to me that DVD Architect may be a solution. I have a fairly complicated project broken into 2 parts about 90 minutes each. They were built in FCP7 in a ProRes422 timeline and exported in 2 self contained movies, part 1 and 2 now with. .mov extension. My question is if I use Parallels or some other way to load Windows to my Mac book Pro or my 27 inch iMac, would I be able to build my motion menu, import my .mov and burn it to blu ray? I see that the older version 5 of DVD A is only $39.99. Does that really work?

Return to posts index

Phil Peacock
Re: Blu ray menu with DVD A
on Jun 22, 2014 at 11:17:43 am

Well, DVDA v5 certainly will burn BDs and has a pretty comprehensive tool box for setting out menus and link responses etc.
Vegas works with .MOV files (their website states - MOV requires QuickTime authoring components to be installed for it to work)
So it will certainly, and has, worked on my PC.
I am not familiar with working with PC software on an Apple tho so that side of it I can't comment on.
Certainly sounds like a go-er tho. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jun 22, 2014 at 3:11:29 pm

Sounds like I could be on the right track. Thanks! Can anyone comment on a Windows setup on a Mac that is known to work? I am using the Mountain Lion OS and that is the latest OS I can load without losing FCP7. Later OS's will make it not function. My iMac is a late 2010 i5 quad core and my MBP is a late 2011 i5. Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 22, 2014 at 5:38:29 pm

[Craig Johnson] "Can anyone comment on a Windows setup on a Mac that is known to work?"
Bootcamp is the best way to go because you get native hardware performance. I use DVD Architect Pro 6.0 on my Early-2008 Mac Pro 8-Core with Windows 7 Professional using Bootcamp and it works fine.

I also have DVD Architect running under Windows 7 in VMware Fusion (similar to Parallels Desktop) on my Mid-2012 MacBook Pro and when I press the button to burn a DVD my MacBook Pro reboots! I assume the Sony software is doing something nasty to access the DVD drive that causes this catastrophic failure. I don't have Parallels Desktop to test with so I don't know if it's unique to just VMware Fusion or just unique to my laptop but I would get the trial software for everything and test it out before you buy anything if you are considering using virtualization like Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox to create Blu-rays.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jun 22, 2014 at 6:21:54 pm

Wow! Really great info. I have found that tons of money can be spent in this realm trying to get to what works. Thanks. A long as you're changing lives here, do you know if there is any great advancement from DVD A v5 to v6? Also, is it possible to make any type of popup with this? Have you ever dropped .mov files into the program to make blu ray? Again, thankyou.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 22, 2014 at 7:29:39 pm

[Craig Johnson] "A long as you're changing lives here, do you know if there is any great advancement from DVD A v5 to v6?"
Not really. I have 5 on some of my computers and 6 on others and I don't notice a difference.
[Craig Johnson] "Also, is it possible to make any type of popup with this?"
Nope. If you want popups you need to invest in Sony's DoStudio which is $3,000! DVD Architect can basically make the equivalent of DVD menus on Blu-ray discs. Nothing fancy, just DVD level stuff but in Blu-ray format.
[Craig Johnson] "Have you ever dropped .mov files into the program to make blu ray?"
Yes, you can drop QuickTime ProRes 422 MOV files into DVD Architect and it will gladly convert them to Blu-ray compliant streams. It takes a loooong time. On my 8-core Mac Pro it only uses about 25% of the CPU for encoding. What on earth it's doing I don't know but it's certainly not making good use of my CPU power so expect it to be slow.

By contrast, the encoder in Vegas Pro makes good use of CPU and GPU power so I always feed DVD Architect compliant files from Vegas Pro and it goes very quickly. I haven't had the same luck trying to get Apple Compressor to produce an MPEG-2 Transport Stream that DVD Architect doesn't demand to re-encode. DVD Architect is extremely particular and really only takes files from Vegas Pro without re-encoding. It pretty much re-encodes everything else even if it looks like all of the parameters are correct. :(

I wish Apple had DVD/Blu-ray Authoring software.

~jr

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jun 22, 2014 at 7:50:34 pm

I'm with you on the Apple comments. Everything with them is a workaround. When the HD vs. Blu Ray war was being fought, Apple made it clear that HD was their hero, but when Blu Ray won, Apple hung the rest of us who invested heavily in expensive hardware and software, out to dry.

I guess you answered my next question. I use the HD preset in Compressor to create assets that I later burn my Blu Ray in Toast. They look really good, much better than Compressors h.264. Problem is the rotten menu....if you want to call it that. 2 options for a menu to be made and they both are cheese whiz. I was going to make the jump to Adobe Master Collection, but the cloud wouldn't load on either of my machines, and their support people couldn't help me and none of us here could understand what they were saying. Sad. I decided I didn't want to be subscribing if there was any other way. Anyway, I guess there's no dragging assets into DVD A.

I think I'll take a shot at it. It's not that expensive of a gamble.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 22, 2014 at 11:56:02 pm

[Craig Johnson] "I guess you answered my next question. I use the HD preset in Compressor to create assets that I later burn my Blu Ray in Toast. They look really good, much better than Compressors h.264."
OK, forget my last statement about DVD Architect wanting to re-render. I figured out how to feed DVD Architect Blu-ray files from Apple Compressor. I was making MPEG-2 Transport Stream files but... Duh!... a Blu-ray wants Program Streams!!! I just rendered an HD 1920x1080 MPEG-2 Program Stream from Apple Compressor 4.0 and DVD Architect Pro 6.0 happily accepted it and did not want to re-render it. Thank you for causing me to figure this out for you because I realized that I wasn't thinking straight when I did it for me. So you can render from FCP to MPEG2 Program Stream and author a Blu-ray with DVD Architect and have the original quality that came out of FCP with no re-rendering! ;-)
[Craig Johnson] "I was going to make the jump to Adobe Master Collection, but the cloud wouldn't load on either of my machines, and their support people couldn't help me and none of us here could understand what they were saying. Sad. I decided I didn't want to be subscribing if there was any other way."
The subscription model only benefits Adobe. I won't subscribe unless they allow you to continue to use the last version you paid for when you leave. Anything less would be detrimental to your business. The funny part is, I started looking for an alternative to After Effects so I bought Apple Motion and I absolutely love it! It's so well integrated into FCP X that I'd never go back to AE now. I bought Pixelmator to replace Photoshop so I'm all set for an Adobe-less future. lol
[Craig Johnson] "Anyway, I guess there's no dragging assets into DVD A."
So now you can. Just render MPEG-2 Program Streams from Apple Compressor and drop your assets into DVD Architect to author them.

I also did some more testing of VMware Fusion. I installed Fusion 6 on my Mac Pro and used it to boot my Windows 7 Professional Bootcamp partition as a virtual machine and I went into DVD Architect Pro 6.0 and pressed the Make Blu-ray button and the computer did not reboot! So it must be something about my MacBook Pro that is flakey because I had no problem on my Mac Pro. I can now confirm that you can run DVD Architect in a Windows 7 virtual machine on your Mac without any problems.

~jr

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jun 23, 2014 at 1:07:45 am

Apparently my GPS brought me to the right store. I'm buying what you're selling. I should be ready to attempt your work flow in a few days. I just need to get my iMac on Windows. In the meantime, my Wife has a new laptop. I might try their demo download on her machine and just send over a tiny project's assets and check it out.

In the meantime, for your kindness, should you find yourself in need of a kidney or other internal organ, mine are here for the taking.

I'll post my test results.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jun 23, 2014 at 4:26:41 am

lol... you're very welcome Craig. I'm glad I could help. Let us know how you make out.

~jr

Return to posts index

Craig Johnson
on Jun 24, 2014 at 1:57:53 am

Quick question: anyone know of a comprehensive tutorial for DVD A v5 that does NOT involve bringing a Vegas project into it. Since the interface is foreign to me, not clear on many issues like jumbled aspect ratio, how to get chapters created in DVD A to load in the flowchart, linking menu pages and buttons, and weird boxes pasted over the top of buttons for starters. One good tute can set you free. Any ideas where I can find one would be great!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]