FORUMS: list search recent posts

Louisville, KY Casting/Crew Call "Atlas" Feature Film...

COW Forums : JOBS Offered - Low/No Pay

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claire Thixton
Louisville, KY Casting/Crew Call "Atlas" Feature Film...
on May 23, 2008 at 12:22:26 am

Atlas

Casting Call and Audition Notice

May 2008

Sometimes your world is too big for your shoulders....

Synopsis

Carrying the weight of the world can be a pretty hefty job for one person – and no one knows this better than Mitchell Darsby. If it isn't all the complaints and worries of his faithful customers at his gym, it's the constant problems of his disillusioned family. There's hardly any time for him to notice his own life is crumbling quite literally beneath his feet. No amount of 'strength' can help Mitchell conquer the pains and frustrations of others he must endure. Join him on his journey as he learns the hard way that life is way too big for just one person to handle, and sometimes your world is just too big for your shoulders.

AUDITION NOTICES (Character Lists and Requirements):

Please send resume and head shot if considering role. Auditions will be in 2-3 weeks. Samples of script to be read will be sent out in a week.

LIST OF ROLES AVALIABLE:

Principle Roles:

Mitchell Darsby

Julie Stiltz

Mac Darsby

Robert Darsby

Minor Roles:

Patricia Darsby

David Stiltz

Rebecca Elliott

Karen Darsby

young Mitchell/young Julie

Nicholas

Extras:

miscellaneous gym clients (extras)

miscellaneous high school students (extras)

police officer

miscellaneous retirement home residents (extras)

miscellaneous models male and female (extras)

---- DETAIL LISTED BELOW ------

Mitchell Darsby (30's) – An introvert in disguise, Mitchell is the owner of a gym called the Globe Exercise Facility (affectionately called the GEF). He is a hardcore obsessive compulsive, who pays excessive attention to detail, living his life in a very organized and orderly fashion. Mitchell hates chaos, which ultimately leads to his downfall in the story. The GEF is Mitchell's world, and there's not a whole lot else he knows otherwise. Exercise, good health, and fitness consume his life. He is all about perfection.

Mitchell's character parallel's the Greek mythological Titan “Atlas”.

Requirements for Role:

Must be able to pull off a 35 year old male

Actor must have a STRONG COMMITMENT. You are the LEAD role in this film, and the glue that holds this tale together – without you it isn't going to happen! There will be many rehearsals and many long shoot days. There will be a lot of work required out of you, so be prepared!!

You must meet certain height and physical fitness requirements. Mitchell is physically in damn near perfect shape. He is a trainer so he does this every day. You will be required to keep up physically the entire length of shoot, just as Mitchell does in the film, whether it be by 'method' acting, or just keeping with us during shoot days.

**I will also consider those who do not quite meet the physical requirements, but are willing to work quickly towards them during rehearsals and script run through. There will be enough time to reach these goals, if you are willing and wanting to meet this part, and it would be a great way to get in great physical shape! Mitchell will be a very fun and exciting character to play, so it is worth it!**

This role requires eating a variety of different food, including some health food, meat, and dairy products. If you have complications with this I MAY be able to work around it accordingly, but you should let me know a.s.a.p.

There will be a variety of improvisational shoot days where you will be coming up with ideas with other actors, the director, and other crew members, on how Mitchell would react to certain situations. There will be rehearsal days prior to this. This should be a rather fun and interesting experience.

There are a few scenes where Mitchell will only be wearing a towel (however there can be briefs underneath). Must can be comfortable with this.

Julie Stiltz (30's) – A very blissfully ignorant person. She is sweet as sweet can be, a heart full of souther lovin'. She has abandonment issues because of her father leaving when she was younger. She is a very co-dependent person, mainly of her husband David Stiltz, who seems to consume her entire life. Very much a house-wife type of person, Julie enjoys cleaning and order as much as her brother does. She also has a fast food compulsion, resorting to it often when stress is at it's highest. There are also often times when Julie can be very overbearing.

Julie's life and story closely parallel's the life of Hera, a Greek mythological wife of Zeus.

Requirements for Role:

This roles requires a bigger woman who is comfortable with her weight. There is some emphasis on Julie's weight because of her compulsion with fast food, and how she always resorts to it when she is stressed out or upset. However, Julie is rather comfortable with herself. She is a very unconventionally attractive person, and has a great sense of inner beauty. When she's in a happy go lucky mood, her bubbly attitude gives her a great sense of charm.

This is a principle role. It is another VERY important role, and like Mitchell's role there will be many shoot and rehearsal days. You must be a dependable and hardworking person.

Obviously you must also be willing to eat some fast food..

Mac Eli Darsby (teenager) – This is a particularly complicated and troubled character, the result of a very complicated and troubled family. Conflicted with all sorts of strong emotions, he is often times torn on what to do. There is no real parental support in Mac's life, yet he still seems to manage somewhat on his own. He is madly in love with his best friend, Haley, who is being chased after by his ex-friend Nicholas. Nicholas has drifted into the drug scene, and this creates a horrible conflict between the two. Mac loves his mother, who he is reminded a lot by Haley, and hates his father, who essentially who he is becoming in a sense.

Mac's life and story closely parallel the life of Oedipus (like Oedipus' complex), a Greek mythological character.

Requirements for Role:

Mac is pretty scrawny and 'punky' looking. He is almost kind of dorky looking in a way.

There is a fight scene that will require makeup, and you must be comfortable with this.

Mac is a principle role, and also VERY important. Like Mitchell and Julie, there will be multiple shoot and rehearsal days, and you must be dedicated to this part!

Robert Darsby (40's w/ ability to pull off 60's-70's) – A retired army veteran, Robert is a pretty hardcore guy. He's full of wisdom and experience, but lacks the ability to interact emotionally with people. His wife died when his children were very young and this caused him to slip into a very emotionally shallow state. Now he is dying of cancer and has very little time to live. The rest of his days are spend trying to make amends, and preventing his children from making the same mistakes that he did.

Robert's life and actions parallel Achilles, a Greek mythological character.

Requirements for Role:

Actor must be in late 30's-40's and have the ability to play an elder person at times. There will be flashbacks to when Robert was younger. Actor must be willing to be put in makeup/prosthetics and hair dye or wig possibly.

Robert is a principle role, and also very important. He is the turning point for Mitchell in this film. There will be multiple shoot days and rehearsal days. You must be dedicated to this part and to the production.

Patricia Darsby (30's) – work-a-holic type. Ex-wife of Mitchell, mother to Mac. She is not home a lot. She is very controlling at times, but she has an extreme want for well being of her son. She tries to be a very good mother despite her busy schedule.

David Stiltz (30's-40's) – a charismatic womanizer type of a man. He does photography at his studio called “Titan Shots” of models for a living. He is a pretty work obsessed person as well. Obsessed with the “perfect” looking people, David often finds himself lost in his pictures and people.

David's life and actions parallel the life of the Greek mythological character Zeus.

Rebecca Elliott (20's-30's) – A perfectly flawless beautiful young aspiring model/actress. She is often found at David's photography shoots. She is absolutely stunning in everything that she does. Strangely, Julie and Rebecca are very close-knit friends, and are in a book club together. However, Rebecca soon becomes one of the huge problems of Julie's life.

Karen Darsby (30's-40's) – mother of Julie and Mitchell Darsby, wife of Robert. She dies when the children are young and is in a variety of flashbacks scenes.

MISC. Gym Clients (varies ages, gender, nationality, etc.) - If you are looking for a rather small but yet intimate role in the film, this is a great part to consider. This is a very involved part despite it is not a principle role. Actors will be asked to develop their own “off the wall” character. The idea is to create a character that ISN'T fit for a gym like environment, yet still goes for some obscure reason.. We will have a few workshops and several rehearsals where we will fine tune characters as a group/individually, and then a day or two of shooting all of these scenes with Mitchell's actor. This is a very fun and unique opportunity. It is sort of an experimental type scenario, to see how it works. You may or may not end up having a speaking role, but all 15 people considered for this part will be in the movie!!

ATLAS CREW POSITIONS AVALIABLE:

2nd Assistant to the Director

Director of Photography

Assistant to the Director of Photography

Documentarian

Lighting Director

Sound Director

Boom Operator

Gaffers/Grips

Set/Scene/Storyboard Designers

Production Assistants (PA's)

Location Scouts

Script Supervisor/Continuity/Mis en Scene

Producer

Assistant to the Producer

any other help would be greatly appreciated!!! We can use any helping hands!!!

I am currently in the process of looking for a DoP/Cinematographer who owns their own camera, and would be willing to help out the entire duration of the shoots. I am going to rent out a camera if none is available, so the DoP and their assistant(s) will need to show some sort of demo reels or some work so I can see what you have done.

If you would like to be considered for DoP/Cinematographer and don't have a demo reel, I will invite all those who are considering the opportunity to come to a rehearsal and shoot, so I can see what kind of ideas and styles you have. I am willing to consider all experience levels, I just want someone who is willing to work with me creatively.

Experience is a plus but not required. Send resume if you have one. A lot of these jobs can be internship positions, and many of them can be multiple jobs for a single person.

Please e-mail claire.thixton(at)gmail.com if intereted. Thank you!

Claire Thixton
Claireified Productions/Jhana Films
claire.thixton@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Josh Widener
Re: Louisville, KY Casting/Crew Call "Atlas" Feature Film...
on Nov 17, 2010 at 10:16:47 pm

I am an experienced set builder, residing in Louisville, Kentucky. I am experienced in movie, commercial, and photo shoot sets. I worked in Los Angeles as a set builder, but left during the writer's strike. I stayed freelance, but the companies I worked for frequently included Tractor Vision, Los Angeles, CA, Red Truck, Los Angeles, CA, Vivid Productions, Los Angeles, CA, just to name a few. Please contact me if you have an opening for this project or any upcoming projects. Thank you.

Josh Widener
615-593-2850

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]