FORUMS: list search recent posts

Colorist for Small Independent Film Needed - No Pay (Sorry)

COW Forums : JOBS Offered - Low/No Pay

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sorokorensky
Colorist for Small Independent Film Needed - No Pay (Sorry)
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:30:49 pm

A colorist is needed. This independent film was shot in DV, on Canon GL1 about six years ago. There is roughly an hour worth of footage requiring color correcting. Colorist will work closely with director/editor in removing DV noise, setting a color theme, and dealing with other misc issues.

Return to posts index

Mads Nybo Jørgensen
Re: Colorist for Small Independent Film Needed - No Pay (Sorry)
on Aug 26, 2009 at 11:11:35 pm

Hey Michael,

1) It would be really helpful if you told us where you are based?
2) What format is the film on now?
3) Or are you expecting the colorist to grade and repair your rushes before doing the edit?
4) There are several ways to take care of DV noise, but what is "dealing with other misc issues"?

All the Best
Mads
London, UK

Mac Million Ltd. - HD Production & Editing
Please watch our latest video on Data Protection at

Blog: http://blog.myspace.com/bigflopproductions

Return to posts index

Michael Sorokorensky
on Aug 27, 2009 at 12:10:37 am

Hi Mads,

Thank you for taking the time to address my post. I just joined this group, so pardon all of my noob blunders.

I am based in a suburb of Philadelphia (USA), about 40 minutes from center city. My location, I'd say, is not an issue, as I am willing to ship out a hard-drive with edited footage in omfi/Avid format to the colorist. S/he can share their cuts by sending me either stills and/or compressed footage via email/ftp/file share/etc.

Because it was shot on the Canon GL1, on DV tapes, the footage uses DV compression. It was shot entirely in 30fps. In general the footage is clean and was shoot with 0-gain. All scenes were white-balanced to a light pink, for that blue-green hue we wanted.

The film is at its final round of editing, and has been processed repeatedly using numerous effects including resizing, selective focusing, shaking, warping, and more. My goal is to create a common feel for each scene and also to set visual consistency for the movie as a whole. Also the "Film look" would be nice. Likewise, I wish to correct grain wherever necessary. This may mean removing noise in one cut, and adding it in another.

As for "dealing with other misc issues," well it's hard to predict what problems/ideas may come up as we move forward with the project. I may be interested in changing the fps. I may want to use digital lighting. Also, I definitely could see this film being up-scaling to HD. All of this would be collaborated with the colorist, and have his/her buy-in.

Since I have no colorist experience, I'd expect for the colorist to provide recommendations... everything from color, fps, heck maybe even if they think I'd need to re-edit a scene? Since this is a very low budget, and my first longer than featurette-length, film I am very comfortable with approaching this a bit like a learning experience.

I hope I've answered your questions, please let me know if you'd like to know more, if you are interested in helping out, or have any recommendations for me.

Thanks again!
Mikey

Return to posts index

Axel Kurtz
on Aug 27, 2009 at 4:38:24 pm

Sounds intriguing. Shoot me an email @ axeledits@yahoo.com
Axel Kurtz
AxelEdits@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]