FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD DG settings file for episode

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris nuccio
HD DG settings file for episode
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:44:44 pm

hi,
i have been sending SD spots to DG for years, and am trying to get certified for HD. however our entire work flow comes from FCP to me, thru episode and then to DG. unfortunately no one I have found at DG has a settings file for episode, having only an FCP PDF file(s) that are contradictory (some say mpeg 2, others h264, some say 29.9 others 59.9, different data rates, some say 720p others 1080i, etc.) . Surely someone has an HD settings file that guarantees DG will ingest it. I have shared my SD file settings with dozens of other production companies over the years and would really appreciate it if someone could share an HD settings file with me. thanks in advance,
chris

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: HD DG settings file for episode
on Oct 20, 2009 at 3:54:07 pm

There is no certified Episode DG HD settings.
DG National Office has an HD spec of MPEG-2 Transport Stream which they have not yet implemented. So no Episode setting for it.

DG Chicago has an HD H.264 workflow specific to FCP and Compressor. They have a PDF with that workflow. That is not coming from or supported by DG National Office so there is no Episode setting for it.

Apparently DG Chicago HD spec seems to want to see certain odd aspects of FCP/Compressor/Apple H.264 that are . . . well . . . odd. I've tested this myself and confirmed with DG Chicago.

Return to posts index

chris nuccio
on Oct 20, 2009 at 4:04:27 pm

exactly. this baffles me. i mean episode was written by telestream who wrote DG's dropbox software. it took quite a while to nail the SD settings and i just figured that someone who suffered thru getting it right would share. and i'd hate to buy a copy of FCP just for the occasional HD spot. i will stay tuned. thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 20, 2009 at 4:13:06 pm

When DG National implements HD, I'll be able to create and certify a setting.

Believe me I tried with the "Chicago" spec but what they're looking for is "not standard" as far as H.264 codec goes.

Return to posts index

chris nuccio
on Oct 20, 2009 at 8:52:49 pm

oh i also forgot to tell you that when i take my source file (7 gigs for 38 seconds), copy from the xsan to a local drive, and try all the different flaors of h264 trying to brute force myself a solution, the file disappears when i hit go. if i don't copy it from the san its gone and has to be re rendered in FCP. so if i put it local, i don't lose it permanently, i just have to recopy it, which is still like 4+ minutes. so this is going really slow and thus my search for a settings file. i dropped an email pointing here to the folks at telestream, so i guess i have to wait and see. thanks craig.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]