FORUMS: list search recent posts

CPU usage Nehalem 2.93 xServe only 60-70%

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre Guidry
CPU usage Nehalem 2.93 xServe only 60-70%
on Jun 26, 2009 at 2:43:41 am

So i have a new Nehalem dual 2.93 xServe with 24gigs of ram, OS X 10.5.6 build 9G4008 and Episode Engine Pro v5.2. I've created my encode jobs with S&S enabled on most of the input monitors. I submit a file for encode and the CPU usage across the board is only about 60-70%.

Is this normal or is there a problem that in OS or EEP?

I've also tried making the adjustments by toggling off automatic balancing and tried setting several settings. I'm making a prores to flash vp6 file and dvd output, this is when it happens. If i make a quicktime m4v or mov than the app is using 90%+ cpu. When making a flash vp6, it will use 60% for system and 10% for user, than when it gets half way through the encode, it goes to 10% system and 75% user. I thought it was maybe the 2pass setting, so switched that off without any luck of change.

I've also upgraded the OS to 10.5.7, to see if it was an issue with 10.5.6 without luck.

thanks
-andre

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: CPU usage Nehalem 2.93 xServe only 60-70%
on Jun 26, 2009 at 1:22:42 pm

That's about normal really.

Some processes are more "optimized" than others naturally. Sometimes that is a factor of the codec or it could be an I/O factor where the system isn't running at full speed because it can't get to the data fast enough.

We have 16 EEP nodes now, and another 8 coming (all Nehalem XServes). Disk I/O is all Xsan, so it's incredibly fast. We don't do automatic balancing, I set it to 1 job.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: CPU usage Nehalem 2.93 xServe only 60-70%
on Jul 7, 2009 at 12:44:03 pm

I just installed some new Nehalem Xserves yesterday and wow are these babies fast. I'll agree the CPU usage doesn't look very high, mine only seems to hit about 40-50% on all cores. However compared to the last generation it completes jobs 40% faster. And compared to the first generation Intel Xserves these are 50% faster.

Given that the RAM and OS are not quite optimized for Nehalem yet, I can only suspect these new Xserves will get faster still once the OS catches up. And maybe Telestream has some code optimizing to do themselves.

In the meantime I'm going to enjoy the faster clock speed as that's already a major jump.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]