FORUMS: list search recent posts

QuickTime Codec

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Conrad Olson
QuickTime Codec
on Apr 14, 2008 at 12:47:13 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sorry for all my posts recently but I'm getting to grips with Episode and the more I use it the more I appreciate it.

My next issue is the choice of QuickTime codecs. When I choose MOV from the output format type I only get the choice of the really standard codecs (H.264, PhotoJPEG, DV etc.). I don't even get other standard options like Animation or Sorrenson. The list is tiny compared to any other QuickTime app.

I've checked that the "Show legacy codecs" is checked in QuickTime player and I can't see any other options. Is that it? Don't I get any other QuickTime options?

Cheers,

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: QuickTime Codec
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:45:07 pm

I'm not having this problem, I have a wide range of QT codecs available.

My codecs are installed in:
Computer/Library/QuickTime

Are yours in User/name/Library/QuickTime by chance? Not that it should make a difference, but one never knows.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:51:54 pm

Hi Robert,

Just checked and all of my codecs are in Machintosh HD/Library/QuickTime. I think a lot of the codec options I'm missing are AJA options and I know I have to get the upgrade for those to work right? I'm still missing stuff like Animation though.

Weird.

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Apr 14, 2008 at 4:56:34 pm

Well AJA doesn't really have any codecs of their own. So even though I have the Kona 3 & Io, I only have 3 "AJA" codecs available: AJA 10-bit Log RGB, AJA 10-bit RGB and AJA 2Vuy Codec. These are really older legacy codecs if I remember correctly so you probably don't want to use these.

What you should be looking for are the codecs DVCProHD, DV/DVCPro, ProRes, etc that are a part of Final Cut Pro. These are just some of the codecs that AJA uses.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:10:56 pm

OK, let me check I'm doing this correctly.

If I create a new setting and choose MOV in the Output Format box, then in the Video box in the Output tab I choose QuickTime. Then I go to the Video tab and in the QuickTime settings at the top click on the QuickTime Movie Settings. This gives me the same box I'd get if I was to export something from QuickTime Pro. I click on the Compression type drop down and I get:

Apple Pixlet Video
Apple VC H.263
Cinepak
Component Video
H.261
H.263
H.264
Motion JPEG A
Motion JPEG B
MPEG-4 Video
None
Photo JPEG
Sorrenson Video
Sorrenson Video 3
Video

In QuickTime Pro some of the other options I get that I feel should be showing in Episode include:

Animation
Apple Intermediate Codec
DV
DVCPro
DVCProHD
Divx

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:23:15 pm

You are doing it correctly. And all the codecs in your 2nd list for QT Pro I have available in Episode (except Divx which I don't have).

Just to cover the bases here, I'm running OS 10.5.2, FCP 6.0.3 and Episode Pro 4.4.2.

What are you running?

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:28:19 pm

I'm running OS X 10.5.2, Episode 4.4.2, FCP 6.0.3, QuickTime 7.4.5, so the same as you. Would it make any difference that I installed Episode as a trial then purchased a serial number afterwards? It doesn't seem that these codecs would be limited in a trial.

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:30:39 pm

I can't imagine it would. The only difference I see is that you don't have Episode Pro. Doubtful, but that might be the cause. I'll see if I can see anything listed on the product sheet.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:33:26 pm

Looks like you need the Pro version to gain access to these codecs on output:

http://www.telestream.net/pdfs/datasheets/EpisodeSeries_Format_Support.pdf

Most of the codecs you listed are Pro only.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:52:11 pm

Cool, it's good to know that nothing is wrong with my setup. It's weird that they are only available in the Pro version though. I can understand having third party formats in the more expensive version but why the standard QuickTime codecs?

It's luck I won't need them much, will just have to use After Effects if I need them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 14, 2008 at 5:55:38 pm

Create a New Setting. In Output tab set Video to Quicktime.
To to Video tab. It should say Current Codec: No Codec Selected.
You should see a button there that says QuickTime Movie Settings...
Click that button.
Next to Compression type: Video
Pull down Video and you'll see the whole "family" including Animation, Sorenson, Sorenson 3 and just about everything that FCP has too.

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:00:49 pm

That's just it, I don't get the whole family of codecs. It seems that you only get a select few unless you get the Pro version. I think I can live without them for the time being.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:07:40 pm

I have Pro. I just wanted to make sure you were looking in the right place. It is kind of odd that Animation and Sorenson would be "Pro" features.

On second look Sorenson 1 and 3 are listed as non Pro features.

Return to posts index

Conrad Olson
on Apr 14, 2008 at 6:12:19 pm

I thought it was odd too. Sorrenson is there but not Animation, DV, DVCPro, DVCProHD, DivX etc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]