FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio levels-mpeg 2 ES

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Cunningham
audio levels-mpeg 2 ES
on Feb 12, 2008 at 4:51:26 pm

Episode 4.x (latest update)

I've been encoding to mpeg2 ES for DVDSP using FCP ref file, and although the audio levels seem good in the sequence (typically -18 to -6db on the VU) the levels seem to be low when I play back on a DVD player.

I've gone into the preset for the audio (192kbs) and boosted the volume 20 to 30% but that didn't seem to have much if any effect.

Any thoughts or insights?

Cheers,

Jim

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: audio levels-mpeg 2 ES
on Feb 14, 2008 at 8:45:10 pm

Once it's on a DVD Player going to a TV set you've added the Player's outputs and TV's ins and outs into the equation.

You might want to check the encoded audio on a computer using something that can show output level before burning to disc.

Return to posts index

Jim Cunningham
Re: audio levels-mpeg 2 ES
on Apr 8, 2008 at 1:12:37 pm

As mentioned, I’ve created a sequence in FCS2 (good audio levels coming through Kona 3 to analog mixer – 0db), compressed in Episode (mpeg2 ES) and import into DVDSP (the audio output from DVDSP is also going through Kona 3 to the same analogue mixer) now the audio level is around -24db.

So I put B&T through the same process (FSC2-Episode-DVDSP) and -12db was now less than -24db on the mixer, -9bd, -3db had an equivalent increase in analogue, but still below the 0db that I was getting out of FCS2. I went to the volume control in Episode and increased from 0% to 100% and levels (that were coming through in FCS2 at 0db) to the analogue mixer came up to -12db on the peak meter.

Is it possible that the audio levels within Episode are based on a different digital audio LUT?

BTW when using Compressor I do not have these audio level shifts!

Thanks for you input.

Cheers,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]