FORUMS: list search recent posts

no success with timecode burn

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
no success with timecode burn
on Oct 25, 2007 at 2:27:26 am

I've taken a default Windows Media setting in Episode and added a timecode filter. Episode gives up after 3 retries when I try to use the setting to compress some Quicktimes. Anyone got this working?

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: no success with timecode burn
on Oct 25, 2007 at 2:31:04 am

But what did you add it to? Source file codec?

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Oct 25, 2007 at 2:35:09 am

DVCPro50. Is that the problem?

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 25, 2007 at 3:10:18 am

Reference or Self Contained?

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Oct 25, 2007 at 3:11:37 am

Reference.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 25, 2007 at 4:16:58 pm

Thanks.

Try some things.
Use self contained and the time code burn in and let me know what happens.

Try reference file with time code burn in.

Try reference file without time code burn in.

My objective
Determine if it's a reference file issue or a time code burn in filter issue or combinations of the two.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Oct 26, 2007 at 1:25:58 pm

Here's what I've tried:

source file with timecode: NO
source file without timecode: NO
source file with any other setting in Episode: NO

self-contained Quicktime export from FCP with timecode: NO
self-contained Quicktime export from FCP w/out timecode: NO
self-contained Quicktime export from FCP w/other settings: NO

reprocessed via Quicktime, still DVCPro50: Encodes but still no timecode using Episode (and when I use Compressor to do the conversion with this file, the timecode is screwed up anyway - not the same as the original file)

recompressed using the "recompress all frames" option when exporting from Final Cut Pro: encodes, but no timecode

so apparently Episode has a problem encoding files that are captured by Final Cut Pro unless they are completely recompressed either with Quicktime or with the "recompress all frames" option checked when exporting from Final Cut Pro. And as far as I can tell, the timecode filter doesn't work at all.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 26, 2007 at 1:38:48 pm

Are you saying you can't encode self contained or DVCPro source files at all (with the exceptions you noted)?

Are you saying the time code filter doesn't work with any source or self contained codec?

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Oct 26, 2007 at 1:53:26 pm

Can not encode DVCPro50 files captured by FCP. At all.

Can encode DVCPro50 files if recompressed, but timecode becomes irrelevant.

CAN encode 10 bit uncompressed files captured by FCP. Timecode works if encoding an mpeg-4, does not work if encoding a Windows Media file. Video encodes fine to WMV, but no timecode window. Clients on PC much prefer Windows Media for this type of file. Have not tried ALL the options, but given that the source file works with one codec and not another, seems to be an Episode problem with the timecode filter.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 26, 2007 at 1:58:07 pm

Joe it sounds like you have a problem specific to your system. Given how common both DVCPro50 and the TimeCode filter is used I'd see complaints about this all over the place (and I visit a fair number of forums).

I just tested with a DVCPro50.dv clip (source not through FCP) encoded with WMV9_HighQuality preset with Time Code Burn In filter on and it worked on both Intel and PPC.

Since I'm a beta tester, I test with a slew of codecs and export situations. While it's easy to miss some codecs and filter combinations this would have jumped out at me and any of the other testers. Almost all my tests involved FCP captures/exports too. I certainly tested the time code burn in filter several time too.

In short. I think you've kind some kind of issue on your system. I'm not sure what though.

I'm using FCP6.0.1, Episode Pro 4.4, QT7.2 on both Intel and PPC 10.4.10.

You might try using DV or 8 or 10 bit uncompressed self contained from FCP to double check. After doing that, I'll make some trouble shooting suggestions.

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
on Oct 26, 2007 at 2:20:43 pm

Narrowed the timecode issue a bit. Seems to work with downloadable Windows Media but not streaming. Have you tried it with a streaming setting?

And you're probably right, I have an issue with my system. But I've had various issues with Episode through several different OS versions, both on PowerPC and Intel machines.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 31, 2007 at 3:32:23 pm

Joe,

Are you still having the issue? Seems there may be a weird naming convention but in ProRes. I haven't bumped into it yet but apparently if you have a space in the file name it'll fail. Try exporting to ProRes with no spaces in the file name. A coule of folks who mention the issue also bring up DVCPro so you might want to check that to.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 7, 2007 at 2:45:32 am

It seems that with certain codecs, if there's spaces anywhere in the path, you may get "no importer found." This means no spaces in drive names, folders or the file name itself.

I do think the time code burn in issue is also specific to certain codecs which is maybe why I didn't spot it when I had got a beta version to test.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]