FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing commercials for upload to DG Systems

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wynn Winberg
Compressing commercials for upload to DG Systems
on Jul 30, 2007 at 9:09:09 pm

Can anyone give me the best Episode setting to create MEPG2 Program files for upload for broadcast through DG Systems? I keep getting feedback from them that my black levels are too high, though I don't think I've done anything to effect video levels. I've tried both Main Concept and Episode, with similar feedback.

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: Compressing commercials for upload to DG Systems
on Jul 30, 2007 at 9:21:36 pm

What edit system are you capturing with?

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Wynn Winberg
on Jul 30, 2007 at 9:22:43 pm

Avid Express Studio for MacOSX - latest version, 5.something

WW

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Jul 30, 2007 at 9:30:53 pm

Since you're capturing via Avid then you aren't working in a RGB color space. I believe that's CCIR601, which explains why your blacks are not black enough.

So in your case your blackest black is 16 and the whitest white is 235 (if memory serves). Whereas if you captured with Final Cut then you work in the full 0-255.

My only suggestion is to use the filters "Black and White Restoration" in Episode Pro and set Black to 16 and White to 235. That should do the trick.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Wynn Winberg
on Jul 30, 2007 at 11:24:48 pm

OK, I'll embarass myself in front of the group now - certainly not the first time. I thought 16 was the equivalent of 7.5 IRE. We typically go to tape, so maybe that conversion has been masking something - but an MPEG2 for broadcast is not 16-235? Rather, it's 0-255?

WW

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Jul 30, 2007 at 11:27:30 pm

Yes 16 is 7.5 IRE when you're going in and out of an Avid or other device that works in CCIR601.

And honestly I would think that a MPEG2 for broadcast would need to be in the 16-235 realm, but if they're saying your blacks are never truly black that leads me to believe that it's 0-255.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]