FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will Episode streamline my workflow?

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
Will Episode streamline my workflow?
on Feb 5, 2013 at 9:01:15 pm

Hey guys, I've posted a similar thread in the Sorenson forum because I'm looking for advice on both programs as I look to change my workflow.

So today I am looking for a way to streamline the encoding process in my post production department. We deliver video strictly for web/mobile viewing.
This is our current workflow.
Export an mp4 (h264) from FCP
Open in Quicktime and export for Broadband, Wi-fi and Cellular (m4v with diff settings).
Open in FireFogg and export WebM and Ogg (720p)
Plus make 2 thumbnails

Would Episode be able to handle this encoding, and potentially make my life easier?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Will Episode streamline my workflow?
on Feb 5, 2013 at 10:03:39 pm

[bruno silva] "Export an mp4 (h264) from FCP"

I'd export ProRes if that's going to be your master for encoding. You don't want to use a heavily compressed source and compress again.

You can build a workflow from one source to make multiple encodes in Episode. You can create a monitor folder so that as soon as you drop the source in, Episode detects it and goes to work.

Episode doesn't automatically make Thumbnails but you can pick and export frames.

Ogg Theora can't actually be used in a commercial encoder due its Open Source license. WebM on the other hand can be.

These days I'm not really sure why you'd be using Ogg. Someone would have to be on an old browser to not support WebM (assuming an open source targeted browser).

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:00:44 pm

If I were to use Episode I would def create everything from that, but I'll probably do so anyway.

Yea I'm not sure why we use Ogg honestly, I'm pretty new with the company, but I guess they want to cover everything. I had never heard of that format.

If i can create 1 workflow and have it automated by Episode, that might be the selling point.

Thumbnails aren't that important, but something that we need to do.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into downloading a demo

Return to posts index

Brian Collins
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:01:27 am

We've been using Episode for about two-ish years and I love it. The batch processes are a real life saver when creating deliverables. We have a client that each month needs a 1080 for station A, HDV for station B, etc. It used to take us 45 minutes to compress and upload all the variables. Now, it's a one click batch that compresses the files, uploads to their FTP, creates and dispatches a low rez for the client, etc. I seriously love Episode.

Brian Collins
Birmingham, AL
http://www.atomicpix.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]