FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green push in H264?

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Franklin
Green push in H264?
on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:41:50 pm

I've been wanting to build an Episode 5 preset to make HD H264 files for upload to DG Fastchannel. We use Compressor right now and they have no issues with those files. I started testing Episode and got a nice looking file comparable in size and quality to what comes out of Compressor. However, the Episode file has a pronounced push or expansion in the green with yellow and cyan coming along for the ride. The picture is not green, but you can see the jump in luma and saturation switching between source and output files. If you compress color bars you can see the difference easily.

Am I missing something in my settings? The source files are typically uncompressed out of FCP 7 or ProRes 422 HQ out of FCP 7. I tried adding a Green cut in the Episode RGB setting, but that made the whole picture turn magenta.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Green push in H264?
on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:59:51 pm

Ultimately it's how the file looks and withstands processing. I believe there are other luma chroma hue filters to look at. Episode 5 used Dicas codec and has ceased development a few years back. Episode 6 uses the more ubiquitous MainConcept and has an option for x264 as well. You might download the trial and give it a test.

Return to posts index

Jeff Franklin
on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:20:56 pm

Thanks Craig I will try it. I want to upgrade, but I'm fighting budget issues.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:16:48 pm

That's why it would be good to test the demo version. It's easier to "sell" an upgrade if you can show demonstrable improvement.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 19, 2013 at 10:03:54 am

An answer to an old thread.

Both Adobe Media Encoder (AME) and Episode Pro (EP) has a tendency to slightly affect material they encode when the output codec is h264 or x264. The change is quite minor from our testing - less than 1% per color channel (RGB measurements) but still visually noticeable - especially when you compare the output from AME vs EP as they tend to go to different sides of the color spectrum.

For really solid encodes at the moment I still think EP with their x264 add on codec is the way to go. They also hands down have have the best processing of the two apps. Still MUCH could be improved in the app. Telestreme seems quite reluctant to do any major changes however as they put their primary focus on their big-iron products Vantage and such.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]