FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird issues with Episode 6 and mp4

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Weird issues with Episode 6 and mp4
on Apr 25, 2012 at 1:59:13 am

Finally upgraded to 6 a few days ago.

Today, I was trying a few different mp4 test encodes for clients.

I had three different tests, encoding a 1080 24p ProRes movie.

I first tried to submit all three at once, and I tried separately, I tried new encoder presets, I tried different source movies, I moved the location of the source movie off of the SAN, same problem every time.

The problem: The encode would go fine, fly through first pass, get about 75% through 2nd and Episode would throttle down to 100% CPU, down from a consistent +800%, and sit there. No crash, activity monitor still running, no timeouts, simply dead in the water. I let one sit for over half an hour, and nothing. Source files were 3ish minute run times. During one test, the computer sort of froze ( no keyboard activity), but I could still move the mouse. I could not select anything with the mouse, could not force quit, and had to resort to a hard power down.

I know this is super obscure, but it was weird. I eventually switched to Compressor and things went very smoothly.

Any ideas here?

WMV encodes work just fine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Weird issues with Episode 6 and mp4
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:00:59 pm

Confirm that it's Episode 6.2.2
OS 10.7.3, 10.6.8, Windows 7?
Computer specs including RAM and Hard Drive space you're deploying to.

Try using H264 MP4 512kbit 16x9 unaltered.
If that fails, duplicate the setting and
uncheck Deinterlace
under Video Codec, Profile & Quality, uncheck Two-Pass encoding
Save
Test encode with this Encoder

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:08:25 pm

Latest Episode.

10.6.7, 2.66 8 core, 24GBs RAM

Destination Hard drive has 400+ GBs available, source drive 20+ TBs.

I unchecked deinterlace before starting as it's already p material.

I'll try single pass.

Every file and every encoder gets stuck in the exact same part on the process when CPUs go down to 100%.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:12:54 pm

Just in case, have you considered updating to 10.6.8 specifically using Apple's Combo Updater (not Software Update). If it's OS related it may clear it up. Since it seem specific to your config (it's not a common problem) it may be some odd thing running interference.
Also if you have Time Machine running and/or any virus checkers turn that off.
Another thing to try is to create a New User Admin, delete all login items for that account, reboot and login in to the new admin account and test there. That would determine if there's a user specific issues vs a system wide issue.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:19:20 pm

I froze this particular system after fcs3 EOL.

I can try it on a clone.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 2:41:41 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I can try it on a clone."

Please do. Generally I've found that using Software Update at any time can result in OS issues that are not always obvious and sometimes impacts only a specific app or workflow. It's obviously not common but software update sometimes doesn't cleanly update or replace OS components for various reasons. This isn't common but obviously the issue you're having isn't common either so I'd like to eliminate this as a possible cause.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:21:44 pm

As a side note, are you the CraigS over on the other place?

If so and for posterity, I will update that post once we figure out what is going on.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:31:31 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "As a side note, are you the CraigS over on the other place?"

I'll bet you didn't know cloning technology had advanced that far.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:35:20 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'll bet you didn't know cloning technology had advanced that far."

There seems to be a glitch in the matrix as you are pretty blond over there. Although, my clone has been totally screwed up on that site.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 3:48:13 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "There seems to be a glitch in the matrix as you are pretty blond over there"

I'm sure you've seen the movie The Fly (either version).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:16:18 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I'm sure you've seen the movie The Fly (either version)."

Certainly.

This must have been in the pod: http://www.flytyingforum.com/uploads/img402520ac75314.jpg

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2012 at 5:25:51 pm

I certainly look like that some mornings.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:10:23 pm

So I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat to hear about what I learned.

On the clone, updated to 10.6.8. Same encoding problem.

Tried the main concept encoder, same encoding problem.

Tried single pass, same problem.

Made a new user, the license to Episode was no longer valid, but it did get through the test movie.

Where does that leave us? A system reinstall? Bummer.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:16:43 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "On the clone, updated to 10.6.8. Same encoding problem."

Avoiding using Software update?

[Jeremy Garchow] "Made a new user, the license to Episode was no longer valid, but it did get through the test movie."

Clarifying THIS WORKED?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:22:33 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Avoiding using Software update?"

Downloaded combo updater 10.6.8, v1.1 from Apple.com

[Craig Seeman] "Clarifying THIS WORKED?"

It encoded the truncated watermarked version, yes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2012 at 3:41:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It encoded the truncated watermarked version, yes."

Try one more thing than.
Deactivate the current license. Wait about 15 minutes. Activate in this new user and test again. This is important.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 26, 2012 at 4:11:36 pm

It worked.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2012 at 5:20:53 pm

OK. There's nothing wrong with the system. There is something wrong in the user account though.
Generally this would head down two possible paths. Something corrupted or otherwise damages or something conflicting.

Of course one solution would be to dump the user account.

If you're adventuress and there's a lot of work invested in that user account there's some things you can try in your own order of preference.

Delete all login items and make sure there are no background tasks or programs running (even time machine, just in case). Basically anything that might kick in that might impact using a file or writing a file to the drive.

Basically if something is interrupting the write function in Episode it can be either the final file write or it could be Episode's creation and access of the temp buffer being written to the drive.

Since you say WMV, test using settings comparable to what you used for .mp4 except do it in a .mov container. Then try the same thing but using a different targeting codec so as going to ProRes .mov again. This might determine whether it's codec or container specific in the user.

Another place to look may be third party Quicktime plugins which, while system wide, might be running into an issue/conflict in this user. If you were to remove all the third party Quicktime plugins and the encode works, it would indicate this is the issue. That WMV worked an MP4 didn't might hint at this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 27, 2012 at 12:42:00 am

I'd rather not delete the user if I can help it.

I didn't have time to test QT components today.

I did try a ProRes, it appeared to get to the very end, but it never finished, CPUs clocking exactly 100%.

I let it sit for an hour or so, and it remained the same.

Swapped encoder for embed as a test, it worked perfectly.

Kinda weird and thanks for your help.

I did check login items, and there's things I can't delete such as the SAN startup.

Do you know if Eposode installs any codecs/components?

More tomorrow.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 27, 2012 at 4:03:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Swapped encoder for embed as a test, it worked perfectly. "

Swapped encoder for wmv as a test, it worked perfectly.

Sorry, fixed the typo.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 28, 2012 at 2:49:11 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I did try a ProRes, it appeared to get to the very end, but it never finished, CPUs clocking exactly 100%. "

So if it happened with ProRes as well it seems to be an issue/conflict with Quicktime within the user.
Superficially the QT Components would be system wide but given it's only impacting the user, something else in the user may be conflicting with Quicktime's function.

The riddle is what. What non system things are specific to that user? Preferences to programs that might impact writing Quicktime files to hard drives. Things that run in the background that might intercept or look at files as they write to a drive. A user's Time Machine preferences? A user's Virus checker prefs (I know, rare)? An app that measures or checks drive function in the background? Episode's scratch disk setting maybe (I believe scratch disk for WMV encodes may be handled differently than Quicktime . . . I know it was at one time).

Here's Episode's user specific things you might trash (or move to a safe folder) but I'd think they'd impact WMV . . . but maybe that's handled differently as I noted above. To be on the safe side, deactivate before removing these files.

User/Library/Application Support/Episode/Assistant.plist
User/Library/Application Support/Episode/Assistant.xml
User/Library/Application Support/Episode/IOServer.plist
User/Library/Application Support/Episode/IOServer.xml
User/Library/Application Support/Episode/Node.plist
User/Library/Application Support/Episode/Node.xml

User/Library/Caches/net.telestream.episode6/

User/Library/Preferences/net.telestream.Episode.Workspace.episubmission
User/Library/Preferences/net.telestream.episode6.plist

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:30:50 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Episode's scratch disk setting maybe (I believe scratch disk for WMV encodes may be handled differently than Quicktime . . . I know it was at one time)."

Bingo. I switched the scratch disk, and all is well with the world.

You are a gentlemen and a scholar.

The scratch disk was not working when set to my SAN, which apparently I switched when I first installed the application. Sorry about all that hassle.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:37:57 pm

Scratch really plays a big role with Episode. I'd really want Telestream to write that up some place. It's almost like a built in or mandatory RamDisk of sorts being used during the encoding process. Kinda sorta.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:54:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Scratch really plays a big role with Episode. I'd really want Telestream to write that up some place. It's almost like a built in or mandatory RamDisk of sorts being used during the encoding process. Kinda sorta."

That's why I put it on the fastest disk.

It could be that my SAN is not liking what Episode is doing and "holds" the file back or flags it read only and trips up Episode when writing back to the destination.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]