Linking Audio & Video

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael D. Brown
Linking Audio & Video
on Aug 23, 2011 at 3:45:21 pm

Running TE 6.1.2.1987
Newbie Question -
Source is QT reference for video; .wav for audio; encoding to Windows Media. How do you link the source files? Is it as simple as adding the audio file to the file list or something else? I know how to do this in Sorenson but I can't find a mention in the TE help files. I appreciate any advice as I learn something new. Thanks.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer
American Heart Association

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: Linking Audio & Video
on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:20:11 pm

It's best to take these discrete files and marry them in Final Cut Pro, Avid, Premiere, etc. Then take the resulting file into the transcoder.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Aug 24, 2011 at 7:55:45 pm

Thanks, Robert for your fast reply. Unfortunately, that would add an extra step in my workflow as my soundtracks are manipulated post-editing, usually in Audition. For clarification, here is my current method using Squeeze:
Avid > QT Ref + .wav
.wav > Audition (EQ, compress, gain, limit, etc.) > .wav (modified)
QT Ref + .wav (modified) > Squeeze > .wmv .mp4 .flv .mov (whatever)
I was hoping to gain some improvement in speed or quality by using Episode, but I'm struggling.
Thanks for your comments.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Aug 25, 2011 at 1:48:48 am

I understand what you're attempting. Something like this existed in Episode 5, but I'm not certain it made it to Episode 6.

Have you looked into the command line tool called QTCoffee? http://www.3am.pair.com/QTCoffee.html

Give it a shot using the muxmovie command. You could automate this process if needed, then send the results to Episode.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Michael D. Brown
on Aug 25, 2011 at 2:07:38 pm

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Meanwhile, I think I can work around with consistent audio output file naming since the QT ref also "references" the .wav file. This is mainly about getting around an issue with Avid & file locking, but that's for a different forum. Still, it would be a nice feature to be able to link different audio tracks to a single movie without having to go back to the editor.

Mike Brown
Video/Film Producer

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 27, 2011 at 8:24:33 pm

We use Videotoolshed's BWF QT merge

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/65/bwf-qt-merge/3

It will take a folder or QT movies and a folder of .wav files and create ref or flattened movies with the audio attached based on TC.

Return to posts index

Geert van den Berg
on Sep 3, 2011 at 3:12:56 pm

Use QuickTime Player 7 pro first, it can either create a new self contained movie or another reference movie, the latter being the fastest route off course. Copy and then 'add to movie' does the trick.

I am using it scripted via an AppleScript droplet, you could even automate that once the output file is done it is moved to an episode drop folder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]