FORUMS: list search recent posts

Episode 6 Engine

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Episode 6 Engine
on Aug 15, 2011 at 10:29:34 pm

I'm installing an Xsan attached Episode Engine 6 cluster and want it operate much like EE5, so all the submitted workflows are Monitor jobs. I want these jobs to stay "bolted down". The EE6 interface is now the same as the desktop and submitted jobs seem much more vulnerable, for lack of a better word.

I need a way of submitting, monitoring and modifying these jobs in place. It's unclear how I modify a submitted monitor job. Will copying the submitted job... modifying and saving all Tasks/Workflow change the submitted job? It appears it does not. It also seems using the stop button at the bottom stops the job for good requiring a new submit. Resubmitting every time I make a change is something I want to avoid.

I also would like to have all the tasks and workflows exist in one place much like they did in the EE5 controller node. I want to be able to power down the cluster... bring it up and have the cluster back with all jobs intact and operating. The "keep history forever" pref seems to do this but is it wise to rely on this to keep all the jobs "bolted down"? Where is this history stored so I can back it up?

I understand one can use an unlicensed, non-Xsan attached machine as a non-encoding Master. Has anyone tried this? I've been using a licensed master as the place where I create and submit jobs, but if the app has problems enough that a restart is required then that brings down the cluster. My plan is to put up another unlicensed machine to create tasks and submit "bolted down" jobs from.

A lot of questions I know...

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: Episode 6 Engine
on Aug 18, 2011 at 9:32:40 pm

John,

I don't know of any way to modify a running workflow. I understand your concern certainly, but at present I don't see any way to do this. To modify a workflow you have to stop it, modify it, then submit it.

From my experience, each time you reboot your cluster, the master always starts up (assuming you've set this preference) and the workflows will continue monitoring the same watch folders. Additionally you could easily batch submit all the workflows to the cluster via command line (it's not complicated) and all the workflows will start.

An unlicensed Mac as the Master is how we're using it, so yes it can be done. However, if your present Master is on Xsan, I'd highly suggest that your backup Mac is also on Xsan as you'd want each of them to have the same paths to your watch folders and output.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 19, 2011 at 6:29:48 pm

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info. I assume your EE6 is Xsan attached? If so have you made any changes to the Node.xml to keep traffic off the MDC network or to hard code connections to avoid Bonjour? I've gotten a few instructions from Telestream on how to avoid the MDC net but don't they aren't working.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Aug 19, 2011 at 9:39:53 pm

Yes our EE6 is Xsan attached.

I did try once to modify the node.xml, but got bad results. So for now it's still set to 'all' NICs, including metadata. So far that's not any problem.

Would love to avoid bonjour, what notes do you have?

Thanks.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Aug 22, 2011 at 5:59:24 pm

No notes on avoiding Bonjour. I was hoping there was a way to enter an ip address instead of "All".

You mentioned a back up Mac previously... a back up Cluster Master? Is that possible in EE6?

Is your unlicensed Master San attached? Does it need to be?

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Aug 23, 2011 at 6:19:21 pm

Any Mac could take over as the "master", it would just need to have a copy of the workflows. It wouldn't function as an automatic failover however. Perhaps Kevin knows of a way to do this that I'm unaware of.

Yes our master is presently SAN attached. Since the master is monitoring your input folders and output folders, it simply needs to have the same access to these folders that your nodes would have.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]