FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cluster scheduling feature request

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
Cluster scheduling feature request
on Nov 3, 2010 at 11:28:14 pm

I have a problem I suspect many wish you had... Episode Engine 5 is too fast. We have six 8 core Xserves in an Engine cluster with the binaries and Monitors on various Xsan volumes. On certain encodes, namely large HD sources files being encoded to MPEG2, the combined read data rate is a sustained 300MB/sec with peaks of 480MB. This is fine for off hour encoding, but that amount data can be disruptive in a shared environment.

I'm in the minority right now, but with the ease that Episode 6 clusters can be created, I expect more will face this dilemma eventually.

I would like to see a scheduling feature added to the Episode 6. Basically the ability to turn off and on cluster nodes at specific times. Built in failure notification would be nice too.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: Cluster scheduling feature request
on Nov 3, 2010 at 11:48:40 pm

Too fast? I always want it to go faster!

How do you have your SAN configured? Our bays are not affected because they operate on a different file system (Volume) than the encoders. It's a good practice.

Have you considered just stopping nodes in the day or restricting their bandwidth?

Episode Engine 5 can notify you of failures if you setup the script.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: Cluster scheduling feature request
on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:10:02 pm

Hi Robert,

The media we encode is the same media used by our edit systems. All media is used for all productions. We don't have "islands of production" typical in episodic workflows. The Output folders are on a different volume, so writes are isolated, but the source files are shared.

Turning off clusters during the day and on at night is exactly what what to do. I just don't want to do it manually and feel it's a worthy feature request. In the meantime I'm going to try CronniX.

Notice I said "built in notifications"... again, a worthy addition.

Thanks
John Heagy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]