FORUMS: list search recent posts

Episode not using all processors

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Pennington
Episode not using all processors
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:32:14 pm

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to get Episode Pro to use all of my processing power to encode flash video.

I'm using the Compressor plugin for Episode Pro version 5.3.2 on a Mac Pro system with two 2.93 Ghz quad-core Intel Xeon processors, and 32 GB of RAM.

When I start encoding, I can see (according the iStat visuals on my Menu bar) that all of the cores are bubbling away with activity, BUT when the encoding finishes, and Compressor states that the batch is 'processing', only 1 core is active, and it is full to the brim. This goes on for a good 14 minutes or so.

How can I get Episode (via Compressor) to use more system resources to cut down the total encoding time?

thanks for any suggestions,

Matt

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: Episode not using all processors
on Jul 9, 2010 at 2:55:40 pm

Matt,

First, not all codecs are created equal. Depending on what codec you use, it may not be multi-threaded for multiple cores. So the best that that codec can do may simply be a single core.

Second, using the Compressor plug-in isn't exactly indicative of what Episode is capable of. I know they have a lot of restrictions in the way the plug-in is called by Compressor. I've always had mixed results with Compressor and the episode plug-in.

I would see how your profile operates when the actual Episode application is doing the encoding. Are all the CPUs in use then?

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Jul 9, 2010 at 3:46:06 pm

Robert,

Yes I've tried using Episode as a standalone program rather than running it through Compressor, in fact that was how I ran my first test, then I resorted to the Compressor plugin because I thought that might speed things up. But not so.

Don't have much experience encoding Flash files, my settings are below:

Does Flash not allow for multi-core processing?

When I do an H264 all cores are firing, it's a nice thing to see,

thanks,

Matt

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Jul 9, 2010 at 5:24:48 pm

It really isn't a Telestream issue per se. They license the Flash codec from On2. So it would appear On2 hasn't made this multithreaded yet.

IF you really need your Flash encoding to go faster, a good work around is to use Episode's Split-n-Stitch function. It would divide the video into 30 second (user definable) chunks, and each core encodes that portion of the video. It dramatically speeds things up. Currently SNS is only available in Episode Engine, but the new Episode 6 desktop client will have it built-in.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Matt Pennington
on Jul 9, 2010 at 7:21:56 pm

Interesting, I'm looking forward to version 6 then. Info on it looks good.

I can live with the encode time for now, just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something in the interface of preferences that would speed things up.

thanks for your help,

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]