FORUMS: list search recent posts

One size of Flash great; one size not

COW Forums : Telestream Episode

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Craig
One size of Flash great; one size not
on Feb 17, 2010 at 4:49:02 pm

Hi, I did a search here under "Flash" but didn't find my problem...

I am delivering some 16x9 videos to a client in Flash (.swf_FL8). They have requested 2 sizes: 640x360 and 480x270. The larger sized Flash movies look terrific; very sharp. The smaller sized Flash movies all show jagged edges, particularly on text. It looks as though a comb has been dragged across the image vertically. I interpret that as indicating that the image has been stretched horizontally slightly during the encoding. But the aspect ratios are all perfect 16x9 so I don't understand how that would happen.

I have closely checked the parameters/settings for large vs. small and they appear to be identical with the the exception of frame size and data rate. I even tried to make a smaller Flash movies by using the larger (640x360) template, including that template's higher frame rare, and just adjusting the size. No good. The 480x270 Flash movies still came out jagged-edged.

I've tried all three methods of "Maintain Proportions:" cut, letterbox and pad. Still no joy.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. (Octocore, self-contained full-res source files from Final Cut Pro, using OS 10.5.8 and Episode v.5.3.1.)

TIA

-- Ron

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
Re: One size of Flash great; one size not
on Feb 19, 2010 at 10:13:28 pm

Check the resize filter and see if you need to modify the Preprocessing lowpass settings. You may want to set it to "always".

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:58:39 pm

Thanks for taking the time to consider this, Robert. I did try your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't solve my problem.

I think the weirdest thing here is that I can make a 640x360 Flash movie that looks perfect. But when I use that very same 640x360 template and make only one, single change -- altering the size to 480x270, which has exactly the same aspect ratio -- I get the slight stretched/jaggies effect that ruins the image on the smaller Flash movie.

I have tried every parameter I can find in Episode to overcome this. Can you make a perfectly good 480x270 Flash with Episode from a 720p Final Cut source???

-- Ron

Return to posts index

Robert Longwell
on Feb 21, 2010 at 12:48:51 am

I'm not having any problems with 720p or 1080p sources.

My settings below:

Hope this helps.

Robert Longwell

Return to posts index

Ron Craig
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:05:01 pm

Long time since this thread was active so I don't expect many will see this but I wanted to post a final follow-up for those who responded...

Turns out the problem was all in the Flash player! I didn't realize that when I opened a Flash movie, the player always defaulted to the size of the last movie that it played -- even if the player had been shut down in the interim. There is a drop-down menu to tell the player to re-size according to the movie being played at that moment (that should be the default!) and when I did that, everything plays fine.

Wild goose chase. Thanks very much for trying to help me with this.

-- Ron

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 12, 2010 at 9:17:06 pm

Player scaling. I've seen that before. I've seen some people who build players where everything is scaled up and then they wonder why nothing looks good. I think there's a flashvar that covers that depending on the player.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]