COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francois Blawat
Is GenArts going to update PI3 anymore?
on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:21:48 pm

I am very disappointed with the lack of:

1: Quarterly Emitter updates as promised

2: Updates to great pi3 standalone program

It seems like now that Wondertouch is part of Genarts, there is no further updates or at least some kind of time table.

Emitters used to be released monthly, then it was quarterly now it is what...?

It would be nice if GenArts or Alan say something about the future of the standalone pi3 program.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Bob Moyer
Re: Is GenArts going to update PI3 anymore?
on Feb 26, 2016 at 10:28:46 pm

It is extremely sad to say, but it looks like all of your questions are answered by the lack any type of response from Alan since September of last year. It appears as though Alan and GenArts have "left the building".

Just my opinion.

Bob

Return to posts index

Brian Fox
on Feb 26, 2016 at 11:22:37 pm

Hey guys!

You can rest assured, GenArts has not left the building. Creative Cow is not really the end all be all for all things post production that it was in the past, so please excuse my not answering your questions promptly.

Here's my answers-

1: Quarterly Emitter updates as promised:

There are over 3500 emitters available for particleIllusion already -- what types of emitters are missing from that collection? Coming up with fresh ideas is quite challenging, as we don't want to repeat ourselves. Also, we've learned that only a small percentage of customers were downloading the new libraries when they were released. The amount of effort involved was not justified by the demand.

2: Updates to great pi3 standalone program:

Unfortunately, probably not. Much of the technology in really particleIllusion is outdated, and updates would require significant rewrites.

Sorry, I understand that's not the answers you were hoping for, but that's where it stands as of now.

Thanks,
Brian Fox
Product Manager/Creative Director
GenArts

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Mar 9, 2016 at 2:43:47 am

Brian,

Thanks for updating but it seems this is contrary to what we have been told in the past. Especially since users were told to upgrade to pi 3.0.9 from 3.0.4.1 and the preview function stopped working. We were told at first that Microsoft changed something but that is not true since my version 3.0.4.1 still works fine with the preview function as it did previously under Windows 7.

As to the "standard" comment it seems that GenArts is now giving us about what other emitters do you want, many users wrote back indicating what they wanted to see. I indicated it would be nice to see animated birthday balloons as one example that still has not been created.

To me and many other users, it seems you no longer care about a product that you deemed was worthwhile since you bought out Wondertouch for the technology. It would be nice to see more features in this product but since GenArts is not even following their own promises, I seriously doubt I will invest any further with GenArts since it appears you are leaving the once great product behind in the dust.

I am seriously disappointed with the lack of anything to this once fine product.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Brian Fox
on Mar 9, 2016 at 3:44:58 am

Francois- I get your frustration and understand your disappointment. I can't speak about the past, I can only tell you what I know to be true. The reality is situations like these are never as black and white as you might imagine, it's more a grey. My point being, it's not that GenArts doesn't care about PI. In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth. You are talking to a guy who's been using it since the early days and is STILL in love with it. It's an amazing and legendary app that has a special place in our industry. The hard truth is there is just not a large enough demand for it to justify allocating significant resources to it's development. I could sugar coat it for you, but sounds like you've had enough of that from previous folks. It's sad and maddening, but it's the truth.

All that being said, PI will continue to be offered and maybe at some point the situation will change. No one would like that more than me, but I can't commit to anything in the near future.

Thanks,
Brian

PS. PI for LIFE.

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Mar 9, 2016 at 5:45:40 pm

Hi Brian,

I appreciate your honesty. I will have to hold Alan to his promise that he made to me (via email years ago) indicating that when pi3 is discontinued/canceled he would create something so our software can continue to be used. ( NO activation required) I brought up my concern over software that requires this activation and if something should happen.

I certainly hope that this gets implemented then for us registered users.

Thanks.

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Bob Moyer
on Mar 9, 2016 at 10:15:23 pm

Brian,
I, too, appreciate your comments. I can also appreciate your concern with the 'bottom' line as far as allocating any development to PI. But I also agree with Francois on all of his points. (However, I did not receive an email from Alan). Your user-base has grown accustomed to the familiarity and potential of this product and I, for one, would like to see it continue. The longer you wait to improve/enhance PI, the more customers you are losing and that doesn't necessarily mean they are migrating to GenArts.

Bob

Return to posts index

Bryan Johnson
on Apr 27, 2016 at 8:34:40 am

GenArts should release this program for open source so that we can improve and update it. I am so tired of companies puchasing great software and then neglecting it so it becomes deadware. Examples would be most of the Metacreations stuff like KPT Bryce, Carrara, Canoma, 3D Painter, KPT Power Tools, and now Particle Illusion. Please consider releasing it to open source.

BTW: There is another developer that is developing an alternative to PI. It is called TimelineFX
http://www.rigzsoft.co.uk

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on May 16, 2016 at 8:57:19 pm

Bryan,

Looking at that link you provided for TimelineFx looks eerily similar to the PI3 current libraries. Mainly the readouts library.

Does the software create avi files or only .png files?

- - - - -
FixitMad

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 24, 2016 at 1:32:52 am

[Brian Fox] "Creative Cow is not really the end all be all for all things post production that it was in the past, so please excuse my not answering your questions promptly."

Excuse me for answering as bluntly as you, Brian, but if you know of another production community that currently gets well over a million unique visitors on a regular basis in 2016, I sure can't tell you who they are. Yes, it used to be over two million but hey, with Facebook, Twitter, and a myriad of other social services doing what we've been doing since 1995 -- along with a proliferation of personal blogs,etc. -- well, possessing a million unique people a month in 2016 is a testament to the longevity and standing of Creative COW.

Please don't hide behind the COW as your reason for not bothering to respond to your own customers and their questions. That seems rather disingenuous to me, Brian. This forum has been for years, the biggest gathering of particleIllusion users in the world, so if you do not want to bother checking in on them from time to time, that one is on you.

Yes, we're down to just a million people a month - :o) - but hey, that's still about ten-times the number of people that visit NAB each year, so it's hardly a no-show, y'know?

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

Return to posts index

Stewart Bourke
on Jul 2, 2016 at 9:18:22 pm

Well said - fully support the post.

Stewart

Return to posts index

Brian Fox
on Aug 2, 2016 at 5:05:09 pm

Sorry Ron. I didn't mean to offend, but reading back now I understand why you would take offense. Sincerest apologies, I've been a fan of the Cow since the early days, and still have some print editions lying around that I peruse every now and then.

Best wishes on much success in the future,
Brian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]