FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle effects on and within an image graphic

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Douglas
Particle effects on and within an image graphic
on Feb 12, 2015 at 9:39:22 am

Hi Everybody!

Is it possible to import a picture or text graphic in png format and have particle effects withint the picture it self? ie: import a text.png with the word "Hello" and have particles floating "within" the word "Hello".

I have been playing around with PI but I couldn't get the job done.. I did try to import and change the shape of my text.png but it only shows like 10 images of my text.png in a sparks emitter..

What I need is import a simple text.png and have sparking star particles shimming within the word "Hello"...

Could some kind soul shed a light on how to get it done or is it even possible with PI?

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Particle effects on and within an image graphic
on Feb 12, 2015 at 4:53:43 pm

Does the PNG have an alpha channel (transparency)? I think it's required for both of these options to work...

In both cases you'll need to change the emitter into an "area" emitter (rectangle) if it's not already (r-click on it on the stage and "make area")

1) if you want the particles to never move outside the text, either create a new layer and add the image as a background layer (so your emitter is on the layer below it), or add it to the same layer and in the layer properties dialog check the "stencil" option.

2) If you want the particles to be created inside the text but they can move outside of it (for instance if you want the text to emit sparks that fall) then in the emitter properties dialog for the stage emitter check the "mask emitter with image(s)" option.

Hope this helps, as I didn't include every detail.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Pete Douglas
Re: Particle effects on and within an image graphic
on Feb 13, 2015 at 4:16:37 am

Yeah this works great, thanks Alan!

Return to posts index