FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cannot combine/ create emitters

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ashley Suszczynski
Cannot combine/ create emitters
on Jan 12, 2015 at 6:08:47 pm

I am so incredibly frustrated because I am probably missing something so simple, but have tried figuring this out for hours, read other forum instructions ,and still have had no luck. All I am trying to do is combine pre-existing emitters. I am trying multiple ways. I've tried opening the emitter up on the manager and looking at the emitter properties - I want to just be able to drag one particle from one emitter, and add it to the particles / properties of another emitter, thus combining the effects. Apparently you can't copy or paste particles across emitters?? When I try to right click a particle, all of the properties are greyed out. When I try to drag the particle into another emitter, that doesn't work.

The only thing It looks like I am allowed to do is add a new particle to an existing emitter, and go back and forth trying to replicate the particle I want, which would take forever. Why can't I just copy and paste???

This is extremely frustrating.

The other thing I've tried to do is create the effect I want by adding multiple emitters to the stage, thus creating a particle I like by having multiple emitters in a layer...but the only way to save this new emitter is as a project file (.ip3) ..i can then do nothing with this file because it isn't a library file (.il3) so I can't use it as an emitter in particle view...

please someone help - if someone could be as kind to create a video for me I'd be forever grateful, as at this point I don't know what else to do.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Cannot combine/ create emitters
on Jan 13, 2015 at 4:26:28 pm

Ashley -- are you on Windows or Mac? On Mac there isn't a way to drag particle types from one emitter to another, but I thought that it was possible in the Windows version. It would only be in the Library Manager if I remember correctly.

The reason I don't know for certain is that this is not a very useful feature, so I never use it. The reason is that the emitter properties values scale the particle type property values, so dragging a ptype to a new emitter may give you drastically different results (those particles may look completely different in the new emitter).

Here's an example. Say Emitter 1 had a "size" value of 500%, and Emitter 2 had a "size" value of 10%. Dragging a particle type from Emitter 2 to Emitter 1 would result in the particles being 50x larger in the new emitter. Same goes for velocity, life, visibility, tint, etc.

I can't think of a workaround for this, although in some limited cases you can use "Make Super Emitter" and "Add to Super Emitter" to combine emitters.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Ashley Suszczynski
on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:31:37 am

Thank you for the reply Alan, this does make sense. If I get a result that I like on the stage (as a project file) is there any way to change the project file to a library file for use with particle view?, or take these multiple layers on the stage and combine them into one emitter?

Return to posts index

Ashley Suszczynski
on Jan 15, 2015 at 6:08:09 am

Alan-

For example, I have two emitters on the stage together, and when played- this is how I like the two separate emitters to look together. Is there any way to save this combination as a single emitter???

Or must I render them into a movie, then having no live control over them together in particle view??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]