FORUMS: list search recent posts

How Do You Create Particle Shapes

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
byron kawane
How Do You Create Particle Shapes
on May 27, 2013 at 7:15:57 pm

Since we're getting the point where we are getting libraries only semi annually, I'm trying to create my own particles. How do you create the semi transparent random shapes that make up some of the particle objects?

Is there a library of objects somewhere we can download?

Is there a tutorial how to create these actual shapes and how to put them together.

I've tried to create some of these shapes in MSPaint but they look like crap compared to the awesome shapes that we get in the libraries.

For example like Francois wanted some balloon themes. How do we create squiggly strings that would be attached to a balloon?

How do we create different balloons that look like real balloons? I'm not a graphics designer so is this a skill we need to make our own realistic libraries?

I have Elvis Deans Magician's Guide to particleillusion 3, which is very informative how to use particle illusion and the basics of how to create some relatively simple stuff but does not go into detail on how to create the pieces that make up the PI sequences.

Maybe we are at the point for good tutorials on how to diy our own libraries.

Thanks!
Byron

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: How Do You Create Particle Shapes
on May 28, 2013 at 3:24:05 pm

Almost any way you want, but I'd ditch MSPaint as it's way too limited. Photographs of an image on black, create in Photoshop manually, use a 3D program, algorithmic generators -- these are all ways that the shape images were created. It's about being proficient with paint apps for blending, erasing parts, fixing lighting, etc.

Not really an aspect of particleIllusion.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on May 29, 2013 at 6:05:19 am

I use .png format for stuff that require transparencies--which is basically everything. I've used and studied Photoshop but can't afford it and so have used Corel Photopaint (part of Corel's Graphics Suite) for 15 years and it's great.

If you need a good free program, get Gimp. It's GUI is a bit different from most digital imaging programs, but it saves in just about any format.

One way to go about creating your own shape, is to go to an emitter you like that is similar to what you wish to create and export/save it out of PI. Then use that as a template for whatever it is you wish to make. Many of the particles are only 128 pixels square and much smaller and only 8-bit.

In fact, as I understand it, making shapes too large and at higher resolution/quality such as 32-bit will drastically slow down PI due to the work load to draw them out. But I'll let Alan correct me on that if necessary.

Return to posts index

byron kawane
on May 29, 2013 at 7:53:24 am

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on May 29, 2013 at 3:12:52 pm

One important thing I forgot to suggest as a great way to make new particle images: use pI itself to make them!

For instance, there are some great spiky light blob looking emitters. Create a new project that is 256x256 or 512x512, add one of these emitters, then render the single frame you like best. Or create a sequence to import as an animated shape -- but don't get carried away on the number of frames.

Also. it's important to make sure that the edges of your image are completely black (0,0,0). If you have even a very slight amount of color (1,1,1) then when this image is used it may result in hard/sharp edges where many of these particles overlap.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

byron kawane
on Jun 10, 2013 at 8:12:38 am

Thank you for the tip Alan!

Return to posts index