FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD versions of emitters: what does this mean to you?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lorence
HD versions of emitters: what does this mean to you?
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:56:51 pm

We've been talking about HD versions of emitters, but I'm having trouble understanding what exactly that means. Does it mean using higher-res versions of the particle images so the particles can be made larger without getting too "soft"? Does it mean adjusting parameters to add more particles, but not increasing particle size?

Please give me your thoughts! Use specific examples from the "Default" library to help describe. Images would *really* be helpful too.

For instance, "Star Trail 2", the first (and probably most famous) emitter in the library. I can use this emitter as-is in HD projects depending on the size of the sparkle trail I want to create. I can also think of possible shots (even in SD) where Star Trails 2 won't look that great because the particles are too large. I'd probably want higher-res shapes but also a higher number of smaller particles in the trail.

I understand area emitters -- like for animated backgrounds. Some of them are set for specific sizes, and just increasing the rectangle width and height won't work (probably because they rely on "emit at points"). But there are lots of other emitters where it's just not clear what an "HD" version would be.

I'll need a good amount of discussion before I start any work, so please think about it and post your thoughts!

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Joe Morgan
Re: HD versions of emitters: what does this mean to you?
on Apr 20, 2013 at 5:35:27 pm

I found the previous post and the 2 before that by you to be both Disingenuous and Condescending.
But I'll post a responce anyway. In a Quest for more Useful emitters.

Considering that most emitters. Including Pro emitters. Are mostly created at 256 X 256 pixels and "BELOW" in size. With "BELOW" seemingly more common.

Coupled with the fact that most look Perfectly Fine at the size they were created. Should Suggest enlarging a emitter in most cases. Resulting in it becoming more visible and covering more than a very small portion of a High Resolution Screen.
Let's say 1920 X 1080. Or HD to most people.

And it Should also suggest----That's what I mean when I say that I would like to have more HD emitters to choose from. Plus, if the emitters I currently have to choose from. Become (SOFT) and/or Blurry and Unrealistic when Enlarged. That's probably what's occurring. Triggering a request for more HD emitters.

That's what "I" mean by HD emitters. I hope I didn't Over Elaborate! You seem to be searching for what a HD emitter might be.
Because if you actually understood what one was. You might regard this post as Condescending.

So thank you so much for considering creating HD emitters. They would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:34:23 pm

Joe,

I can understand your frustration but antagonizing Alan will not get you anywhere. I would love to hear what GenArts has in mind for pi3 and if they will release a new 64bit edition version for us Windows users. ( a re-write of the code I'm sure would be needed especially since HD take processing power)

I am going to be needing HD soon as my camcorder records in 1920 x 1080 high definition video. Since I use the camcorder for family events and such, I do not record in short burts so I am concerned as well about the slowdown you mentioned. When I have more time, I will try to edit something in HD in pi3 and see how it goes in terms of speed, etc. I am going to follow these great instructions from Elvis Deane - http://www.shockingtales.com/illusion/tuts/scalingUpForHD.html .

Joe, what did suppport at genarts dot com say when you e-mailed them about your questions? I am curious.

Thanks,

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

Joe Morgan
on Apr 25, 2013 at 2:46:49 pm

Fair Question.

This is to address my most Recent Posts. Plus a Response to a post from Francois Blawat. This includes EVERONE else also!

I appreciate where Francois Blawat is coming from and feel he deserves some feedback. Thank you for asking. I also acknowledge that Alan Lorence lends a Great Service to many people posting questions in this forum.

I haven’t been contacting Genarts with any Questions. I’ve been receiving and/or reading responses directly from the programs Product Manager. And I also believe the protocol for the questions that I pose, Should Probably be deferred back to Alan anyway.

So now I’ve reached the point where a conglomeration of responses has left me with the perception of futility. I’m attaching some excerpts for Perspective.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager GenArts, Inc.
scan some images for me?
by Alan Lorence on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:43:51 pm
I'll need these images within the next week so I can get the library released by the end of the month. Thanks!

What are the "little" things about pI3 that bug you?
by Alan Lorence on Dec 19, 2012 at 1:11:37 pm
We don't have a lot of engineering manpower to commit to particleIllusion right now, but there are probably "small" things that could be squeezed in once in a while. No promises that we'll actually be able to do any of these things, but what are the little improvements you'd like to see?

Re: No More Emitters?
by Joe Morgan on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:58:03 am
Ditto,
Alan posted "scan some images for me" months ago so he could create
emitters because his scanner was broke.Understandable setback. That was Oct.17.
So yes,Where are the Emitters?

Re: No More Emitters?
by Alan Lorence on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:24:22 pm
As I said, so many questions. There *is* another library coming soon, half of it based on the scans that people provided me with months ago, and half created by Tom. Probably next week sometime, as I have some editing to do and very little time to do it right now.

Emitter libraries
by Joe Morgan on Jan 24, 2013 at 12:44:50 pm
It would seem to me that the best thing to do with emitter libraries would be to look back at the
"BEST EMITTERS" and convert them into in HD Format.

Emitter library status update
by Alan Lorence on Feb 12, 2013 at 6:27:06 pm
I've had "release the emitter library" on my to-do list for several weeks now, but it's so difficult to squeeze in right now. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get it done this week or over the weekend at the latest though.

Re: Emitter library status update
by Joe Morgan on Feb 12, 2013 at 8:20:48 pm
Great news glad to hear it!
I have little doubt this news is going to please a lot of people.
Thanks for the info!

My recent Posts speak for themselves.

So do the Posted Responses.

Thanks to all those that took the time to read this.
Joe Morgan

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on May 1, 2013 at 4:50:13 pm

Hi Joe,

I appreciate you posting those responses and Yes, I am also waiting for the "Quarterly" Emitters to be released as well. This seems to have been pushed back farther and farther behind.

I certainly hope this is not a sign of things to come for pi3.

Thanks,

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

Ben Pohl
on Jul 8, 2013 at 3:23:05 pm

I understand HD Emitters to mean your first option Alan:

"using higher-res versions of the particle images so the particles can be made larger without getting too "soft""

And that would be amazing. Often I'm scaling or zooming with Emitters to get a larger size in 1920x1080.

Thanks for all the great work. I love your products.

-Ben
bad-pixel.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]