FORUMS: list search recent posts

Emitters or lack of.

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Morgan
Emitters or lack of.
on Apr 17, 2013 at 1:43:16 pm

I don't want to come off as an inpatient person.
But I thought some form of emitters were supposed to be released in mid February?
The question also keeps getting asked. What's the likelihood that particle illusion will go 64 bit. That also remains unanswered.
I would like to see some good and unique emitters released for sure. If I was good at creating emitters myself I wouldn't need particle illusion. That's why I count on new releases.
I have owned particle illusion for less than one year. And from my standpoint, the abandonment of regular emitter releases, coupled with no foreseeable likelihood that particle illusion will become 64-bit. Only spells out the impending doom of the program.
I use a 64-bit video editor with the ability to create emitters that leaves particle illusion in the dust.
So if creating my own emitters is what I must do.
Why should I do it at a snail's pace with 32-bit particle illusion?
If I'm coming off as a bitter new owner of particle illusion that would be because I am.
I should have probably done more research and evaluated the trial version much more carefully. I was also quite new to video editing at that time so I really didn't know what I was evaluating.
In a nutshell, for what you're going to spend on particle illusion you may want to consider investing in a first-class video editor instead.
The majority of particle illusion emitters don't look good in HD anyway. After all, the future is HD and the future is here!!!!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Emitters or lack of.
on Apr 17, 2013 at 2:21:29 pm

Joe: how many of the 3000+ emitters have you already used or at least evaluated? There are so many great emitters already available (included) with pI, if you can't find one of those that you like for your projects it's unlikely that any new emitters will be useful for you either.

Another important point: 64-bit doesn't mean faster. Often that it the case, but converting 32-bit pI to 64-bit most likely won't result in a significant speed increase. Yes it will be able to use more memory, but it's not going to be twice as fast unless we rework significant parts of it.

Also, I've never found creating emitters to be a slow process at all, even on older computers, so the phrase "at a snail's pace" is quite unfair.

I'm curious what video editor you're talking about?

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Joe Morgan
on Apr 17, 2013 at 5:51:33 pm

I suppose if you only work with one emitter at a time. Memory might not be much of an issue. That and stick with small low-definition stuff.

It won't be twice as fast unless we rework significant parts of it! Your words Alan.
Slow and steady is for the turtle.

Maybe this is a good time to mention that I'm not that crazy about needing to convert all my footage to AVI just to load it into Particle Illusion. That requires a lot of time also. I was aware of that. But I could never understand why this is the only video program I know of that can't work with other formats.

I didn't say upgrading to 64 bit should be free. At a snails pace is not overstated if you consider that 64 bit systems can render multiple frames with ease in the same instant.
Especially when working in HD.

The more cores, the more frames. Multi-threaded is another bump. Requiring RAM.
2 to 3 GB a core in HD I've read.
I upgraded from 4GB RAM to 8GB. The bump was very noticeable.

You need to see what the emitter is doing throughout the video to make proper adjustments. Unless somehow I got that wrong.

32 bit Particle Illusion barely uses 2GB. That's all my computer will register.

Last thing I read mentioned emitters likely by the end of the weekend. Mid Feb. at that time. I waited on that for several weeks.
I was looking forward to it. Not any more.

Maybe it's me but I'm not finding a lot of "large scale" high definition emitters to experiment with. Just small ones that need a lot of work to look good enlarged. How many of the 3000 available look great large scale and in HD?

I don't believe how I feel about this is vastly out of line.

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:10:08 pm

Alan,

I too would like to see more emitters. Something like Birthday Balloons, Balloons, etc. I use pi3 for creating little birthday videos for people at work and that is one thing that is still missing. Animated balloons stuff for birthdays or anything else related to Birthdays.

I do hope that plans are still "in the works" to improve and update pi3. I hope that the Quarterly releases start back up again.

A x64 bit edition of pi3 will be eventually be needed since Microsoft Windows will be only x64bit very soon.

I hope this is an "active" product.

Thanks,
-Francois

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:32:03 pm

Alan,

I was just thinking of something and maybe others can chime in. It would be nice if you released new Emitters, but maybe FIRST start redoing some of the older emitters already released for HD format so users do not have to wrestle with adjusting multiple settings, etc.

Would this be possible? Re-release some of the original emitters you have released but for HD format instead?

I think that would be extremely helpful, unless I'm missing something.

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 19, 2013 at 7:47:14 pm

I'm actually quite close to releasing that library we talked about months ago (it's gotten much larger, as I can't seem to stop adding variations). Reworking for HD is a good idea though, although I'd need to have a better idea of what people want from an "HD version". Actually, I'm going to start a new thread for that right now...

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Apr 23, 2013 at 9:23:48 pm

Alan,

Will it be possible to get a "themed" emitter library released? Such as Birthday balloons, etc?

Thanks,

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]