FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newest version for Windows

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Moyer
Newest version for Windows
on Apr 1, 2013 at 7:09:38 pm

Alan,
You mentioned in another post that the most current version is 3.09 for Windows. I, too, am using 3.0.4.3. I could not find a change list on your site explaining what improvements/fixes might be encluded in the new version. So, three questions, if I may:

1) What are the improvements?
2) Can we run the install over our older version or must we uninstall first?
3) If we need a new serial number how do we apply for it?

Many thanks,

Bob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Newest version for Windows
on Apr 3, 2013 at 6:53:13 pm

Bob -- sorry for the slow reply.

1) Good question... I'll have to dig around for the release notes for specifics, but it uses a new licensing system (so activation won't get lost so easily) hence the need for new serial number. There were several bug fixes too, which is the main reason we always suggest using the latest version.

2) The safest, cleanest procedure would be to:
a) back up your emitter library files somewhere
b) uninstall pI3
c) install the new version
That being said, you can probably skip step B.

3) When installing the new version you'll get the option to run in trial mode or enter a serial number. You can run in trial mode as it's fully functional, then contact support@genarts.com for a new serial number. Once you get it you can use the "enter serial number" shortcut in the pI3 application folder (Mac) or Start menu (Windows). Or you could contact support before installing the update and skip the trial mode step.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Bob Moyer
on Apr 3, 2013 at 10:23:36 pm

Thank you Alan.

Bob

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:54:59 pm

Bob,

I found this from the documentation that came with the new version that Alan is talking about. I was not aware of this until now when this subject was brought up.

I would have thought the "check for Update" feature of my version v3.0.4.1 05 Jan 2009 would have told me about this "new" version v3.0.9 from GenArts

Here is the help file info:

What's new in 3.0.9

Changed the activation procedure. Uses the standard GenArts licensing system, which is more flexible and robust than what was used before.
Updated copyright information to indicate GenArts, Inc.
Bumped version number to 3.0.9 to match Mac version number.

What's new in pIllusionRender 3.0.8 (installed with particleIllusion 3.0.9)

Replaced old pbuffer rendering which is no longer supported by many newer cards/drivers (ATI for instance) with newer Frame Buffer Objects. End result is that hardware acceleration should be available to everybody again.
Also uses new licensing system, but when rendering projects saved with a licensed version of pI3, activation is not required. This enables pIRender to be used on render-only machines (render farms).

What's new in particleView 3.3.0 (installed with particleIllusion 3.0.5)

Changed logic in way that search index files are checked for changes. In previous release any emitter library change would trigger the "rebuild search index files?" message, which could take some time, even when library change was minor. Now, the index is automatically updated when changes are made, and when too many index updates have been made user will get the chance to rebuild the index to improve performance. End result is much less interruption to user with index rebuilding.

Alan,

How would I go about getting this new version? You mentioned I would need a new serial number?

Thanks.

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

Bob Moyer
on Apr 10, 2013 at 6:14:32 pm

Francois,

Thanks for that information. I downloaded the new version, and followed the information on the genarts site and requested a new serial number. It was all very easy and painless. I installed it on Win7/64 and it is running great.

Bob

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Apr 15, 2013 at 2:20:45 pm

About "check for updates" not telling you about this...

I think I just forgot to update the data file on the server for the version check. I'll look into this. Thanks for pointing it out!

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Francois Blawat
on Apr 15, 2013 at 2:37:07 pm

Hi Alan,

No problem! Just thought I would mention it :-)

Bob, I am glad it was easy for you. I just e-mailed support and they were happy to assign me a new serial number as well so I am Very happy.

Alan, I do hope that a 64bit version of pi will be coming since it appears that Microsoft is planning on going with 64bit only. I know SONY has with Vegas and several other programs they carry. I still use 32bit Windows XP but eventually plan on going with 64bit Windows 7 since Vegas is ONLY 64bit now from SONY.

Thanks.

- - - - -
FixitMAD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]