FORUMS: list search recent posts

P-Illusion: how does it work

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gib O'Connor
P-Illusion: how does it work
on Jan 5, 2013 at 12:23:01 pm

HOW DOES IT WORK:
BEFORE I DESIDE TO BUY Pillusions i need to see it work. I downloaded the trial verson for AE-CS6. but when i apply some pillusions effects nothing happs. What am i doing wrong ?
Many thx in advance for ur answers/help :)

Gib :)

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: P-Illusion: how does it work
on Jan 5, 2013 at 1:15:43 pm

Are you on Windows or Mac? On the Mac version of pIAE you need to click in the effect control window before the emitter selection dialog shows (as the text indicates).

To see how it should work, watch one of these videos:

Win:

Mac:

If it's not working as it should, please contact support at genarts dot com.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Gib O'Connor
on Jan 5, 2013 at 1:58:57 pm

Hi Alan :)
I use WIN7 on a packard-Bell laptop with 4GB RAM. I don't know what graphic-card/Video-Card i have but it does almost every effect i use in AE-CS6. Now i've seen that video over and over and i do exactly the same. I load the PIae, it shows all the emitters and lets me choose one. when i click OK all i get is a little dot/cross in the middle of my solid. i can move that where i want, but i still don't see the emitter. I tried on a still and on videoclip but nothing happens on the screen. The more i watch the tutclip u just send me the more i wonder " Why does it work with this guy and not with me ? " I really don't know what more i can do. could it be the graphicscard ? I really do hope you may have a solution for my problem. Many thanks for your answer :)

Return to posts index

Terry Stephens
on Jan 5, 2013 at 3:10:12 pm

I have only used the stand alone version but the circle with the dot in the center is showing where you put the emitter in your image. Most emitters don't do anything untill many frames into your clip.Try moving your slider in the timeline foward and see if your emitter shows up further along in your video. I'm just an everyday person trying to answer your question so hopefully this is what your missing,good luck!

Return to posts index

Gib O'Connor
on Jan 5, 2013 at 4:24:04 pm

Thanks for your answer Terry :) I did download the stand alone version too, but don't know how to put one of the emitters from there on after effects. Can u pls tell me how that works ?
2-
I made a new comp 30 sec's long added some pics+text etc to fill the 30 sec's. Added emitter and still nothing. does genarts sell guns too so i can shoot myself through the head ? I feel so stupid now lol really dunno what the prob' is.

Return to posts index

Terry Stephens
on Jan 5, 2013 at 5:39:06 pm

I don't know anything about using with after effects but I think I got the emitter answer- In your stand alone version,There are stars in the controls above your preview window to the upper left hand side. The stars are very small,it is to the left of your video playback controls.Clicking on those stars turns the emitters visabilty on and off.Also the field behind the stars turns Blue when the emitters are turned on creating a blue box behind the stars. IF YOU DON'T SEE those controls click on the (VIEW) tab upper left corner of program,click on toolbars in pop-up menu,there are 3 toolbar choices,(Main) opens the visabilty tab with stars.I would turn on all controls If they don't have checkmarks next to them. You need all the controls anyway. You need to go through the steps 3 times to turn them all on.I don't think they make a gun emitter but thats probably the only one you should play with (Ha-Ha). I like playing with software,I know the feeling!

Return to posts index

Terry Stephens
on Jan 6, 2013 at 3:44:24 pm

Emitters Visibility can also be turned off if in your Layer Panel.
If there is a Red X on the Third White Square from the Left.The layer panel is what you use to bring in Video or Images. Layers work independently so having Either visibility function disabled can result in No Emitter Visibility.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 7, 2013 at 3:39:32 pm

It must be an OpenGL issue. Do you have the latest drivers for your card? Go into the After Effects preferences and the page relating to OpenGL will tell you what your hardware is. You should go to the manufacturer's website for an updated video driver.

If pI3 (standalone app) works for you, then you can load footage as reference, add your particle effects, then render just the particles with alpha channel. Then load that into AE as another footage layer.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.

Return to posts index

Gib O'Connor
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:10:04 pm

Hi Alan :) First of all, thank you for ur answer.
1- i do not have the stand alone version of PI, i used it but i like the PIae plugin better (less complicated) you might be right about the OpenGL thing, and why do i think that: Well, in AE-CS6 preferences i can not activate GPU therefore i think PI emitters show not on the solid/viedo. If i knew how to activate GPU maybe the problem would be solved. But alas, i do not know how to activate GPU. AE-CS6 shows only CPU (activated) and GPU in ghost writing so i can't click it.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Jan 8, 2013 at 2:58:56 pm

The fact that the emitters display in the preview window of the emitter selection dialog means that you do have OpenGL support (GPU support is different), but must be missing some OpenGL feature that is required -- the preview window has fewer requirements than the plug-in does in AE.

AE preferences should still tell you what OpenGL support you have, even if the GPU is not available. It may tell you that you have an NVIDIA chipset for instance, and then you could go to the NVIDIA website and download the latest drivers.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.

Return to posts index

Gib O'Connor
on Jan 9, 2013 at 11:56:11 am

Thank you for ur answer Alan :)My daughter has a HP-Pavilion with " Intel(R) HD Graphic Family " so i tried there and PI works just fine (also on my daughter laptop is no GPU only CPU.
My laptop (Packard Bell) has Intel(R)4 series (not HD) like my daughter and with my laptop it does not work. So the problem i think is the graphics card. Today i go to buy a Toshiba Desktop with a high end graphics card, then it will all work im sure. you want some you spend some lol, but have no other choice. The problem with laptops/notebooks is that you can't change graphic cards, this you can with desktops. anyway,Alan, thank you very much for your answers/help. I'll let you know if it works on the new one :)
Take care.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]