FORUMS: list search recent posts

issues saving,creating emitters,and copy and paste solely in PI

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
laura newell
issues saving,creating emitters,and copy and paste solely in PI
on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:18:19 am

HAVING SOME ISSUES WITH 3.09 PI ,wen creating emitters,no matter how simple shape i either get crash or this error
error creating grayscale version of texture 14.0
i also get that error wen open projects with new emitters,ive tried several diff shape formats too,avi,wmv,jpeg,as well as usuall updates,virus scanner check,disabling type of stuff,i also am having issues copy/paste in PI only,ill be editing a program,everythings fine,then suddenly ill right click and nothing,at all,this has happened on 3 diff brand new pc with windows 7 home premium 32 bit,and 64 i know this cause i broke two laptop montiors so had chance to try on more then one machine,with diff specs,it alos has issues save,i have to rerite over emitters/projects iver saved as it doesnt seem to want to create new saved project/emitter files,even if its one of the default emitters,for example say i wish to reorganize them to my likeing,any ideas?,i may also uninstall and install a older version i got new version wen i replaced my old xp desktop,but mabey the old version will work too,to see if i get same error

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: issues saving,creating emitters,and copy and paste solely in PI
on Oct 2, 2012 at 1:09:30 pm

I really can't figure out from this what the problem is. Is this more than one problem?

If you're getting crashes in pI on Windows, 95% of the time it's a video driver issue. Download an updated video driver directly from your card manufacturer's website. The "error creating texture" message tells me it's an OpenGL problem too, which is solved by getting an updated video driver.

If you're saying that you r-click and get no context menu, that's not a pI issue -- that's a Windows issue.

Saving new projects -- is it the location you're choosing? Try always saving to your Documents folder, or a folder inside that.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

laura newell
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:56:29 pm

i tried updateing video driver again,no success still not letting me save my emitters,to a library,i have no issue rendering theses effects,just puting them into a library,also the copy and past no context thing is only in PI no where else on my computer,or other programs is it happening,can windows only have issues copy/pasting in one program?,im reinstalling PI now then if still no success i will be reinstall old version,to see if issue persist as well note ive tried diabling open gl with no success,also note wen i cant creat context menue,aka copy/past in PI i restart program and this fixes for a while

Return to posts index

laura newell
on Oct 6, 2012 at 1:48:31 am

i figured it out,i did alot of fighting,but i got it to work,see what it was was that somehow tho my shape,emitter i created was simple,the library size with just 5 different simple versions of that emitter was over 600 mbs,so i moved them ,and reduced each library to bout 200 mb,but also the same idea seems to be happening with projects,currently i have one little over 300 mb,i try editing it on multiple pcs and itll craseven if i click to delete a emitter from the project,is there a size limit to ip3/il3 files b4 PI will crash,curious

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 9, 2012 at 4:44:07 pm

Your emitter libraries are MUCH too large! If my libs get over 100MB I get nervous.

When you import a shape image, always use the smallest size that you can. If you're importing an image of a bubble for instance because you want to create carbonation bubbles in a soft drink for example, don't import your bubble image at 1024 x 1024. Since they're going to be drawn very small anyway, choose 128 x 128. Also, if you import a very long sequence of images to use as a shape, it will eat memory very quickly. Make sure you actually need all of the frames you're importing.

Finally, note that a library can contain a lot of shapes that are not used by any of the emitters. It's a good idea to delete those from the library if your libs are getting too large.

Oh, one more thing, especially when you've been editing large emitter libraries a lot: check the "library backups" folder. It could be wasting lots of hard drive space storing multiple backups that you don't need.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.

Return to posts index

laura newell
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:15:38 pm

i did manage to lower bit,and get organized,but i have been using default resolustion size 4 shapes,so thanks,i try that,& thanks 4 tip,ill try and limit and new effects to 100 mb-200 mbs max,as well how do i get to this library back ups folder,this would be very helpfull

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:34:05 pm

If you're pulling shapes in at 128x128, you must be using movies as the source, or long image sequences, right? There's no other way to get 100MB libraries.

I would shoot for 50MB as a maximum library size, unless you have 100MB libraries that don't cause any problems for you.

The "library backups" folder is in the particleIllusion application folder.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.

Return to posts index

laura newell
on Oct 11, 2012 at 1:25:26 am

im not sure i use jpeg and wmv 4 shapes,usually i limit to 5,6 mb that those videos can be and 50 frames max too,and thanks on folder info

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]