FORUMS: list search recent posts

Longer lasting clouds?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Stannard
Longer lasting clouds?
on Sep 23, 2012 at 7:35:04 pm

Newbie question here. I'm playing with PI plug-in for Sony Vegas. I'm trying to create a cloud which doesn't move on screen, but just sits there with a bit of movement.
The emitter "Cloud 03" from the "Nature_01" library seems to fit the bill and I can quite happily tweak away to get what I want - with one exception.

Every four seconds or so, the cloud "resets", like a jump cut to a totally different cloud. I've played with a variety of parameters and combinations thereof, ut I cannot get the cloud to last longer than around four seconds (incidentally Cloud 01 and Cloud 02 exhibit the same traits). Am I missing something? (I want a cloud which will last for much longer 20-30 seconds behind title text)

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
Re: Longer lasting clouds?
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:23:35 am

[Tim Stannard] "
Every four seconds or so, the cloud "resets", like a jump cut to a totally different cloud. I've played with a variety of parameters and combinations thereof, ut I cannot get the cloud to last longer than around four seconds (incidentally Cloud 01 and Cloud 02 exhibit the same traits). Am I missing something?"

AFAIK, reading the online Manual, the "Life" parameter isn't available for the Vegas plugin. Please check this with Alan's (Lorence) understanding of this, as I could be well off the target.

I've tried "chaining" 2 FX links of pI to possibly make available some form of "overlap". I couldn't make that work.

In regard to the Standalone version of pI, I have not found a satisfactory way of sustaining the Clouds 3 formation either.

I think we need Alan to poke his head in here.

Toodles

Grazie

Return to posts index

Tim Stannard
on Sep 26, 2012 at 4:37:19 pm

Thanks for trying Grazie.
For info (though why you should ever need this info, I struggle to imagine, the Vegas plug-in does allow access to the life parameter, both of the overall effecta nd the individual elements (emitters?)

Hoping Alan is going to poke his nose in here soon ...

Return to posts index

Graham Bernard
on Sep 26, 2012 at 5:27:14 pm

Access yes. Effectiveness, I didn't find it happenning.

G

Return to posts index

Tim Stannard
on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:22:04 pm

Certainly it is effective. If I take Life down to zero, I get particles that exist for no time - ie nothing.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:25:06 pm

Sorry for the delay -- I finally got the chance to look into this, and it's weird.

I'm using the "clouds 3" emitter from the "nature_01" library, and for some reason in Vegas it does "reset" at 4 seconds. I suspected it was a bug having to do with "preload frames" being non-zero (you can't access that setting in pIOFX, only pI3), but other emitters with non-zero preload don't have the same problem.

So right now I don't have a good answer, unless it is to use different cloud emitters... maybe one of the "storm" emitters from the most recent "summer" library might work if you tweak them a bit?

I'll see if I can figure out anything else that would cause that "reset", but it certainly looks like a bug.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Tim Stannard
on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:28:53 pm

Thanks Alan - that's what I call service. It's good to know I wasn't "misunderstanding" the pruinciples.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]