FORUMS: list search recent posts

Particle Illusion hanging constantly

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Miller
Particle Illusion hanging constantly
on Sep 15, 2012 at 3:29:31 pm

I am working on a Mac Pro - 16 GB RAM - dual eight-core 3.0 GHz procs with a 1920 x 1080 stage, 900 frames. No more than two or three emitters from the Default library will hang PI such that I need to Force Quit. This seems to be well below the level of performance I would have expected with this system.
Can anyone recommend any tweaks or other things to try to get some decent performance here. Nothing else is running on this Mac when this happens.
Running 3.0.10
Really appreciate any help as this is a complete showstopper to say the least.
DM

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Particle Illusion hanging constantly
on Sep 19, 2012 at 2:07:12 pm

Just saying "2 or 3 emitters" doesn't tell me anything, as some emitters create 100 particles, while others create many thousands. Are the emitters needed for all 900 frames? If you're working toward the end of the frame range, any change results in all of the particles being recalculated from frame 1 -- which as you've seen can take some time (hence the hang).

I suggest breaking your project up into shorter pieces if possible. Also, be aware that converting an emitter into anything but a point emitter can *really* multiply the number of particles that are created -- especially an area emitter. Set the "number" to 10% or lower in that case and see if it helps.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Miller
Re: Particle Illusion hanging constantly
on Sep 19, 2012 at 2:19:35 pm

Thanks Alan. The project is for a pitch I am doing for a 4 minute public screen project and my plan is to create a 900 frame piece in PI then time stretch it in FCP, so it wouldn;t work to break it up into any smaller parts. I do need the some of the emitters to run over the entire 900 frames. The PI project uses multiple instances of Light Trans 03, some starting right at frame 1 and some not entering until much later in the project. It is a Point emitter and I haven't altered that.

Is there any way to avoid recalulating all the emitters near the end of the range? Something like the "freeze" feature of the particle generator in Cinema 4D (if you happen to know it)? Sounds like that is what's killing the workflow.
Any other thoughts?
Dennis

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]