FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Feb. 2012 Emitters?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Knight
No Feb. 2012 Emitters?
on Mar 10, 2012 at 9:16:19 am

Self-explanatory title.
(Ah, we PI users are so spoiled, we want our new monthly toys - lol.)

Return to posts index

Tom Schimmel
Re: No Feb. 2012 Emitters?
on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:07:52 pm

Alan,

This is NOT meant to sound ungrateful or as a reflection of your previous efforts with PI.

While I may be in the minority, ever since Wondertouch has been associated with GenArts, it seems with few exceptions, to be going downhill.

Your product is a great one. Support prior to GenArts buyout was great, there was a lot of give and take between users and developers and a very 'relaxed' association between everyone involved.

Now unfortunately, the PI product is at best, 'FUZZY' in terms of product development, emitter contributions (again very grateful for the libraries each month).

While you may be obligated to remain obscure as to the future of PI, it is nevertheless, getting a little restless out here, when trying to understand the plans in store for PI.

Love the product, the community at large and simply miss the relationship that was just a couple of years ago, very much an active part of the PI community at large.

It's fine that their may not be an emitter library contribution each month, but at least post that in the forum, so we aren't like fish, looking for bait to nibble on.

Thanks again for your great product.

Tom Schimmel

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:41:49 pm

@Alan,

Ditto here in terms not only for my gratitude for PI and in fact, personally to Alan, and I agree that new emitters are really great and unique in this field and hence getting too greedy isn't either gracious or very mature - lol.

That said, one thing that frustrates me a bit is considering that most people with PCs - perhaps even Mac -- who do any kind of beyond-basics video have gravitated towards a 64-bit OS. For obvious reasons -- I now have 16 Gb of DDR3 I can use vs. the more or less 3.7 Gb. of 32-bit. And so when software does provide a 64-bit version (i.e. Vegas Pro), it helps -- not just with RAM.

As mentioned earlier to Alan, perhaps the mechanics of PI going 64-bit is so daunting that it may be close to impossible. I simply don't know, but considering GenArts is an industry player in the film industry, one would think they could help Alan with resources or whatever would be necessary to do this with PI.

As a user, I know that my workflow would greatly benefit from having that extra RAM power available. Especially in terms of PI being able to handle video backgrounds. FPS can grind to 2-5 or so frames per second. No-go.

So I work around that by using .jpg frame stills -- but it's just not the same thing. More or less a kind of guesstimate and then I have to tweak stuff in Vegas more than I like to. That said, yes, I tend to do somewhat more complex/subtle light effects than perhaps most -- but not unreasonably so.

So it would be nice to know where we are in terms of 64-bit development, if anywhere.

Thanks.

~ Philip

P.S.: At my site's homepage one can see one of my older videos (2009 or 2010 or so). There is no way I could have used any video background on this in PI. Not even now with my new 6-core AMD system. Scroll down just past the text intro, it's titled "Yoni Metta". As stated at beginning of video, viewer discretion is advised.

========== Owner/operator of CompassionSensuality.Net - (http://www.compassionsensuality.net/) ==========
“Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.” ~ The Dalai Lama

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:26:30 pm

An after-thought to any other users reading this thread...

As has been noticed, it seems that feedback from PI or Alan has dwindled lately here. Kind of a bummer but perhaps there are things going on behind the scenes at GenArts or even Alan's own life of which we are not aware. Including some in-corporation politics or whatever as there is in any business.

Point being that I don't wish to assume that there is some lack of commitment or that PI is dying out on us. I/we just don't know.

But I do miss Alan's posts and insightful/solution-bearing posts.
Hopefully we'll see more of him and/or other staff here again.

And here is the facts for me: even if worst came to worst and PI was no more, I still have it and all the emitters every released so far and I can still make some really kewl stuff for years to come. As long as I don't run into activation "Continue" issues whereby I'm not allowed to use what I bought and paid for...

In short, I'm grateful for what I've got.
I just hope it keeps on keeping on :)

~ Philip Knight

========== Owner/operator of CompassionSensuality.Net - (http://www.compassionsensuality.net/) ==========
“Whether one believes in a religion or not, and whether one believes in rebirth or not, there isn't anyone who doesn't appreciate kindness and compassion.” ~ The Dalai Lama

Return to posts index

Terry Mitchell
on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:08:58 pm

Uh oh. I just posted (above) about switching my old Windows 2000 stuff to a new Windows 7, 64-bit system, and it looks like I've come back, after a long absence, into the tail end of a downward spiral for PI. I was expecting the excellent personal support that Alan use to make available, and I didn't think a terrific product like PI would be allowed to fall by the techo-wayside.

Sigh...

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:49:20 pm

Everybody relax. I'm still here and still listening.

As far as I can tell, questions in this forum are still being answered, sometimes by me, sometimes by other users. I will admit that any "easy" questions I see I'll ignore, thinking that somebody else will jump in and answer -- this is a user forum after all. If you have a problem with particleIllusion, email support at wondertouch dot com or support at genarts dot com. There are full-time support people monitoring those email addresses, and they will help you if they can or pass your issue along to me.

It's true that I would post here all the time in the past, answer every support email myself, and generally be more visible, but that was because my responsibilities were particleIllusion-centered. Today my role is much different than it was back then. I am only marginally involved in development now, and focus on my role as product manager for particleIllusion and also Sapphire. I am no longer involved in support issues, unless the support team doesn't have the experience to resolve a tricky case.

As product manager most of my time is spent talking to customers about how they use our products (pI and Sapphire), what they'd like to see added, what they'd like to see improved. You may not realize it but many of the suggestions and comments made here are being noted, and will be worked into the future of particleIllusion. So what is this future? I can't say right now, but pI is certainly not a dead product. Will you see a major new release this year: pI4? No, you won't. I can't give details, but I will say that every shortcoming you've mentioned for pI3 is something we were already aware of, and fixing them requires major changes. Major changes take time.

There will be a maintenance release for pI3 sometime in the next few months. It won't have new features, unless a more robust, less sensitive licensing scheme is a feature to you. With that hopefully activation issues will be a thing of the past. There will be bug fixes too, especially with the Mac version and in pIRender.

Emitter libraries: I'll say more about that topic in a separate post soon, but there won't be a February library -- there will be a March one though.

If you'd like to discuss anything pI-related with me, feel free to email me directly at alan at genarts dot com. Let me know what you're doing with pI, how you use it, what improvements to it would make your job easier.

Thanks.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Kurt Muller
on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:09:59 pm

You just beat me to it, Alan. I was about to suggest that everyone should just chill, because I could imagine you thinking, "Geez, hold your horses, people! I can't be everywhere at once!!" :)

I don't think you're going to lose customers just because we didn't get our free "fix" this month, after so many years of free fixes...haha.

Speaking for myself, I'll never get to use all the free emitters that I already have, let alone any more that you give us.

But I will admit, the monthly "wonders" are definitely an addiction.

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Mar 15, 2012 at 6:39:34 pm

Thanks for your response, Alan.

It gives me/us a better picture of how things are with you and PI. While you have clarified that no major updates are in the pipeline, I"m still curious on the 64-bit question. Could you elaborate a bit on why it would or would not be possible to make such a version for PI?

I'm aware that there are plenty of products that are still 32-bit -- even Firefox still is as far as I know (at least mine is). I can't afford Photoshop even though I took a course in it 20 years ago so I've been using Corel PhotoPaint - which I've been using since 1997. It's still 32-bit. I don't know about Photoshop.

But the advantage of being able to draw on a 64-bit system is great -- I see it in Vegas and Cubase. However while PI is at its most basic an imaging program, the complexities are obvious even for a non-programmer such as I.

So no-64-bit is not a deal breaker, I love and cherish my PI - and as with Kurt, I have more particles than I know what to do with. But you can't blame a guy for dreaming in 64-bit either - lol.

Sincerely,

~ Philip Knight

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]