FORUMS: list search recent posts

SAVE ALPHA is grayed out (greyed out) when trying to export AVI's.

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kocher
SAVE ALPHA is grayed out (greyed out) when trying to export AVI's.
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:11:54 pm

I haven't used PI in some time, so I might just be missing something, but I can no longer seem to export AVI's with Alpha Channel. If choose AVI as the format, the "Save Alpha" option becomes grayed out in the out dialogue box. If I choose PNG, TIF, etc. image sequence all is fine.

I have multiple alpha-supported AVI codecs installed (Lagarith, HUFFYUV, Canopus HQ, Canopus Lossless, and of course uncompressed.) So this is not the issue. In fact, the "Save Alpha" dialogue comes BEFORE you can choose your AVI codec.

Any idea why this is happening? I am using the latest versions of PI3 and the PIRenderer. (3.0.4.3 and 3.0.7.2 respectively).

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: SAVE ALPHA is grayed out (greyed out) when trying to export AVI's.
on Oct 4, 2011 at 9:48:51 pm

I suspect a pIRender issue. Try a small stage size (320 x 240). If the "save alpha" option is enabled, then it's a problem with pIR. Open pIR manually, click the "options" button, and uncheck "use hardware acceleration" and see if that fixes the problem with the original project.

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Tim Kocher
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:16:46 pm

Hi Alan:

Thanks for the fast response. Actually, I think I've nailed down what it is exactly. Your tip to try a smaller stage size is what clued me in. I actually tried a 720x480 and it worked fine. (Although it still doesn't seem to recognize that the Canopus codecs are Alpha-enabled codecs for some reason, but HUFF and Lag. work fine.)

It appears that if the project settings have the stage larger that can be fit on screen at 100% it goofs something up. I don't believe it has anything to do with PiRender. I say this because the sequencing changes when you have a stage size bigger than can be displayed. Here is what happens ...

If you have a stage size smaller than your screen resolution, when you press the "Record" button, you are prompted with the file name/file type box. Then, after choosing AVI and entering a file name, the next prompt is the Codec setup dialogue box, then after that it automatically maximizes the stage area (layout 3 basically) and prompts you with the dialogue box with all of the settings, and Alpha is NOT grayed out.

HOWEVER, if you have a stage size larger than your screen resolution, when you press the "Record" button, you are prompted with the same file name/file type dialogue, however the next dialogue box that appears is the settings screen with the Alpha grayed out. It is skipping the codec config dialogue, and only prompts for it AFTER everything else. This is the culprit and I hope it is a simple fix.

(Also, I think I see it try to maximize the stage area, but then goes back to whatever it was at before when this happens.)

-Tim

Return to posts index

Tim Kocher
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:20:46 pm

PS> I just realized the PIRender is the app that launches when renders ARE bigger than screen res, so maybe that is the culprit. Sorry, I told you it has been a while ... I completely forgot about it. Was just think PIRender was a background separate render process.

Return to posts index

Tim Kocher
on Oct 4, 2011 at 11:02:33 pm

Alan:

No, unfortunately turning off hardware support in the pIRender app does not help either. It is still altering the dialogue box sequence, the alpha option is grayed out, and output avi files contain no Alpha channel. Any other suggestions? (Other than render something smaller of course, lol.)

Thanks,
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]