FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Generation of PI Emitters -- Better and Better :o)

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Knight
New Generation of PI Emitters -- Better and Better :o)
on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:03:03 am

Alan,

Just wanted to say that perhaps this move of yours to put PI under the mantle of GenArts and run it from there thereby giving you more time to do concentrate on your passion -- engineer PI -- is paying off IMO.

I'm noticing an increase in sophistication or subtlety or layering in later emitters. PI has to appeal to a wide audience and tastes, from the fun cheesy FX, game-style to the more cinematically subtle. Due to my particular visual style, I lean towards the latter.

I was really impressed with one in particular this year -- the Abstract Clouds/Ink Clouds in the Feb. 2001 PI-3 Emitters. They reminded me a bit of some of the VFX created by Chris Parks for "The Fountain" (2006) film with Hugh Jackman.

Granted, he used water and ink and not CGI for much of it, but I immediately thought of those SFX due to the "cosmic" feel of the above mentioned emitters.

You can see his work at this link below. The end of the movie trailer shows some of that feel.

This increase in sophistication is also quite apparent in other emitters, i.e. the Tron ones, etc.

Keep up the great work.

~ Philip S. Knight

--- Chris Parks - The Fountain ---

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: New Generation of PI Emitters -- Better and Better :o)
on Jun 8, 2011 at 1:55:03 pm

Philip -- thanks for the compliment, but it's not my doing. Although I may revise an emitter here and there, or create a variation to fill out a library, Tom Granberg has been creating at least 95% of the emitters for the past 6 months or so.

Tom deserves the credit.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Jun 10, 2011 at 8:55:18 am

I stand corrected and gracious of you -- and/but you essentially invented PI and are at its helm, so you do deserve some credit too. :o)

Return to posts index

Tom Granberg
on Jul 30, 2011 at 10:17:10 pm

Hi

Thanks Alan, thought I just chip in to give you some credit as well.
P3 is a wonderful tool for creative exploration in many fields.

Tom Granberg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]