FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow down issues with windows 7 64bit?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david payne
Slow down issues with windows 7 64bit?
on Sep 20, 2010 at 10:15:33 am

Hi,

My employer has just purchased me a top of the range PC and particle illusion 3.0 however it is painfully slow when trying to put even simple emitters on my background png file. I think I have read about a reported slow down when using BG images on here, is there any fix scheduled for this as I fear I may be stuck with a useless combination.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Slow down issues with windows 7 64bit?
on Sep 20, 2010 at 1:50:49 pm

So it's regular speed with no image, but super-slow when using a single png image as bg? That's not right. Are you sure you're running with hardware acceleration?

You should probably check for newer video drivers from your card manufacturer's website. I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

New computer does not mean it has new drivers. They could be really old.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

david payne
on Sep 20, 2010 at 1:54:38 pm

thanks for your reply. I will check my card drivers now. How do I make sure I'm running with hardware acceleration? On my last PC I ran without acceleration and exporting took an age (I mean 100 hours or so so I obviously gave up) where as now exporting is quite fast so I expect I do have it turned on but would like to know where to confirm this.

Return to posts index

david payne
on Sep 20, 2010 at 1:56:21 pm

Appologies, I have now seen it in the preferences and it is indeed turned on. However even when I apply a single line emitter to an empty project with no background it is still very choppy. For example right mouse button on an emitter takes 3 or 4 seconds to pop up with the menu. Could this still be a graphics card issue?

Return to posts index

david payne
on Sep 20, 2010 at 2:15:29 pm

gfx drivers were a year out of date but have just updated and there is hardly any change, its very laggy. im using a 2000x1500 pixel bg image (5mb). I dont think this can be the issue? There is still a 5sec delay between laying the first point of a line emitter and the 2nd point. This doesnt seem right to me

Return to posts index

Philip Knight
on Sep 25, 2010 at 2:26:37 pm

Alan can give you more advice, but one thing to consider is to lower the accuracy of the particles while you work (how-to is below).

Case in point:

I still work on an antique -- a Pentium D 2.8 Ghz, XP 32 bit -- and adjusting this really helps.

This lowering of viewing quality won't change the accuracy of your emitter paths, etc., just make it easier for the computer to draw them out while you work.

That said, I tend to use rather complex, subtle effects and it never plays at full frame speed even with the suggested adjustment. And it sometimes can get rather frustrating, but so it goes.

One has to just accept that particles are very math-intensive data to render and work around this as best as one can.

So here is the above suggested way:

"Show Particles" Accuracy Adjustment

On the PC version of PI-3, the above-suggested is done in the View/Preferences window:

--- Slide the "Show Particles Accuracy" all the way to the left and hit OK. According to what kind of emitters you are using, you may have to bring the slider more back to the middle, but that will slow things down the more you go back to the right of the slider.

Background Image: Work Copy vs. Export Quality

Another suggestion though using a still image shouldn't really make any difference to speed of in-work render:

--- Use compressed work-copy-only .jpg, not large .bmp or other formats that use up memory. It doesn't matter if your work copy is over-compressed and slightly pixelated -- it's just a reference point.

--- If you export both particles AND still for final, import a correct resolution copy onto another layer and hide it while you work. Then switch the work copy off, turn the good one on and do your export.

--- If you export the particles for use in an NLE such as a .PNG sequence, no need to import and hide a high res pic until final export. Just use the work copy and make sure you hide it and use alpha and remove-black in your export.

The same principle works for video, too:

--- The smaller the file of the background clip, the easier it is for the computer. I.e. never use uncompressed or huge files. Alan suggests only using segments or scenes (very short videos).

Sometimes that isn't possible due to scene transitions, but most of the time it is.

If you want to see how I've used emitters using only stills as background, see the polished draft "Yoni Metta" video on my homepage.

All the fx in it are .PNG exports composited over stills in Sony Vegas. But I used some ad hoc still work copies in PI without any pan or crop or movement to make sure the particles would look right over them.

With one exception: the last wide-shot scene before the credits; that one was exported from PI into Vegas pretty much as you see it, but it's a photo as background, too.

I still have a ways to go on all this creating particles, but I'm definitely making progress. And it's fun too :)

My site's homepage

Return to posts index

david payne
on Oct 5, 2010 at 9:25:28 am

Philip,
Thanks for your suggestion, I have made those changes and am still experiencing problems.
I noticed that the CPU and RAM on my pc is not significantly high when PI is open, however the program is painfully slow.
Graphics card drivers are up to date and I'm not sure what else to try. Before I attempt to set up a windows xp 64bit virtual machine could the support team offer me any more advice?

Return to posts index

david payne
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:50:36 am

hi Philip,

thanks for your kind reply. I tried eveyrthing you suggested with no luck. With the BG image thing, I am using a 5mb png file 2100x1400pixels in size. Although I could shrink this down, I would then need to scale down the large high res image that I use as the BG before export because otherwise the emitters would not line up with the image if that makes sense?

To be honest I have tried a test project with no BG image and it is still sluggish to say the least.

I am in the process of trying to get windows xp set up as a dual boot to see if this makes a difference but in the mean time here are my pc specs, could someone let me know if I have made a horrible mistake in asking my IT Dept to order this pc:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 GHz
8.00GB ram
64bit windows 7 installed
NVIDIA Quadro FX 380 graphics card

I'm not 100% happy with the pc when running other programs like adobe CS5 however I can live with the occasional lag, however PI is basically not useable and I really need it.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

david payne
on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:57:26 am

hi Philip,

thanks for your kind reply. I tried eveyrthing you suggested with no luck. With the BG image thing, I am using a 5mb png file 2100x1400pixels in size. Although I could shrink this down, I would then need to scale down the large high res image that I use as the BG before export because otherwise the emitters would not line up with the image if that makes sense?

To be honest I have tried a test project with no BG image and it is still sluggish to say the least.

I am in the process of trying to get windows xp set up as a dual boot to see if this makes a difference but in the mean time here are my pc specs, could someone let me know if I have made a horrible mistake in asking my IT Dept to order this pc:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 GHz
8.00GB ram
64bit windows 7 installed
NVIDIA Quadro FX 380 graphics card

I'm not 100% happy with the pc when running other programs like adobe CS5 however I can live with the occasional lag, however PI is basically not useable and I really need it.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]