FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating particles from images

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Hempen
Creating particles from images
on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:16:34 pm

I've searched this far and wide on the Internet and can't seem to get an exact method on how to do this. My team and I are trying to find a way to import a masked image of a flower/blossom to PI, and create particles OF that image; so basically a falling stream of blossoms that emit from one point which the cursor drags around. Sounds like a simple idea, but I am expecting a complicated way of accomplishing this, if it can even be done in PI. Let me know if you guys know anything.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Robin Conover
Re: Creating particles from images
on Apr 24, 2010 at 7:24:32 pm

I am new with particle illusion, but I used the method found in the Star trek transporter tutorial. In that tutorial, you manipulate an image sequence to replace particles of another emitter. Worth a look if you haven't done so already. This method is found in Part 1 of the tutorial: http://library.creativecow.net/articles/lorence_alan/pi_star_trek_1.php

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Apr 24, 2010 at 10:07:56 pm

To create particles from a masked image is very easy. There are several ways to do this.

Add the emitter you want to use as a starting point, to the stage window.

Right click on the emitter and select PROPERTIES
Open the PARTICLES tab
Open the CHANGE SHAPE tab
Press the ADD NEW SHAPE TO LIBRARY button
Browse to your file
choose the settings you need (they speak for them selves, but you can always ask about them) and press OK
press the MAKE ACTIVE button

Theo

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Apr 25, 2010 at 11:48:21 pm

Thanks! Very easy indeed. I only have one more question. The flower I'm trying to port needs to be masked in PI somehow, because if its just a flower on a black BG imported to spawn as a particle, then in after effects, won't it be a all square shaped when it spawns over my footage instead of cutout-flower images??

Return to posts index

Theo van Laar
on Apr 26, 2010 at 9:42:12 pm

When you add a new particle, you can choose whether you want to use the existing image transparancy or whether you would like to use a certain color (e.g. your black background) as transparancy.

Theo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]