FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hiring to make Company Intro

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabe Naz
Hiring to make Company Intro
on Mar 23, 2010 at 11:28:08 pm

Hello I am looking for someone to make CreationCrave.com a company logo like the one here: http://dotcommer.deviantart.com/art/Movie-Logo-MagicPixel-HD-66758553 . Im only planning to pay $30-40 because it is fairly easy. let me know if you are interested.

Return to posts index

Jack Evans
Re: Hiring to make Company Intro
on Mar 24, 2010 at 1:29:34 am

Hmmm... I'm not sure how many bites you're going to get on that, unless it's from somebody who does this as a hobby and has some spare time to kill. For example, if I were doing it, I'd have to write a contract (to protect both parties), we'd have to agree to all the elements, and get it signed. Unfortunately, I've lost a lot of money on projects like this for which I've never gotten paid. I'd be willing to bet anybody around here has horror stories like that.

For the job itself, there'd be designing the particle elements, setting up an emitter, testing the animation, compositing the animation and text layers, packaging the resulting video to whatever the specifications would be, delivery of the package, and adjustments that would have to be made after the fact. I can't see that taking less than three or four hours just for making the logo originally, and I bill out at more than $40 an hour already. At that, I'm not a professional graphic artist (I'm a software developer, and I bill at an even higher rate for that).

I don't want to be discouraging, but I'm not sure that you'll get quite the quality you're looking for at that price. I think there might be more working artists here than hobbyists, and hobbyists might give you more choices at the rate you're offering. A couple of good places I know of for a variety of hobbyists would be Renderosity (they have a job posting forum you could use) and Daz3D (the folks in the Carrara forum are often very helpful).

I would recommend that you get a written agreement up front that specifies the animation size, format, frame rate, and that you'll have ownership of the final product (the work should be considered "work for hire" with you as the hirer) so there won't be any issues with you using the art and possibly registering it at a later time with the U.S. trademark office or any other authority.

I must say, that's a pretty concept for a logo. Might be hard to get the right look for it on letterhead; you might want to have the artist do a still with transparency and another black on white for masking, too.

Anyway, best of luck, and I hope it works out.

Return to posts index

Jose Burgos
Re: Hiring to make Company Intro
on Apr 1, 2010 at 1:45:04 pm

In 1990 when I started out as a freelancer, I would call around and find out what people were charging and then charge half that amount to get started. So I hope anyone starting out on there own does their home work on rates first before taking on work at ridiculous pricing. They would be better off charging full price for a job like this which could range as high as $3200 and then do a NDA with the client and do a 100% discount charging nothing in return for the advertising rights to show the animation in a demo reel. This way they retain their rates and can discount as needed in future work without fear the first customer will say it cost them nothing.
That all said, I was more amused with his statement that he values the work extremely low because it is easy. If it is so easy, and like you Jack, could take 3-4 hours not including story boards and approval points. Also note 3-4 hours for an experienced person as this is not so "easy".
Break down of two single elements:
-Square block bounces in and stops.
This could be hand animated but it would have been done by a very skilled animator as the physics of the level of bounce, drag and inertia and damn good at Disney level IMHO. Instead I would imagine the artist used a 3D hard physics plug-in built into the software or purchased. So even if they used a fee 3D program like Blender with its Bullet physics engine (I am told it is very good by the way), the artist would have to either be experienced with Blender and the Bullet feature and then spend a little time tweaking the physics result to his liking or spend many hours learning and trial and error getting the results he desired.
-The particles that spay out and bounce
Again, any one who has even worked, played or experimented with particles knows you just don't press a button and out comes perfect particles. This particular shot in the project has them not only spaying to encompass the logo size but bounce around off the logo and the floor. Even with the great and powerful PI3, this would take some time to get deflection setup to replicate the floor and some more time to get the particle spray to the desired final look.
These two shots in the project could take 1-2 hours each from an artist with decent experience with his software tools.

Anyway, my .02 cents

Jose Burgos
http://www.burgosfx.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]