FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make an emitter fade and blur over its own lifetime

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sven E. Nilsen
How to make an emitter fade and blur over its own lifetime
on Feb 11, 2010 at 3:21:16 pm

I have a very basic emitter, 100% opaque.
All I want is this emitter to gradually fade out over its own lifetime.
I have noticed that other emitters, that others have made, can do this. But not mine..
I have also seen other emitters gradually blur more and more over lifetime, how is this done? I have tried to adjust the shape settings, transparency over life, but I do not understand how these work and have not found any step-by-step tutor that show me how this works.
Here is a really big "alas" from me: Most PI tutorials I have found are way too complicated and start with existing emitters and do advanced complicated things.
All I want is introductions to emitters, and furthermore introductions starting with BASIC topics and then gradually add advanced topics. Such a basic topic is how to have the shape gradually become more and more transparent over the shape's own lifetime.
Any input is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: How to make an emitter fade and blur over its own lifetime
on Feb 11, 2010 at 4:28:04 pm

You can't blur a particle over its lifetime. The emitters that do that use a multi-frame image sequence for the particles, where the blurring is already present in the images.

Have you tried reading through the docs? They're written in a tutorial format, and are intended to take you through features from the simpler to more advanced. Should be a good starting point for you.

The exact feature you're looking for is the transparency gradient, which is on the "colors" page of the "particles" page of the emitter properties dialog. Both the color gradient and transparency gradient control the colors/transparency of the particles over their life.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Sven E. Nilsen
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:41:45 pm

Ok, thanks.
I do not, however, understand how I can make the emitter become gradually more and more transparent. Yes, I have tried the various controls, but my emitter remains opaque and then suddenly disappears when its lifetime is over.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Feb 11, 2010 at 5:51:55 pm

If you want to fade out the entire *emitter* you need to animate the "visibility" property graph so it fades out when you want it to.

If you want the *particles* to fade out at the end of their lives, use the transparency gradient.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Sven E. Nilsen
on Feb 11, 2010 at 6:00:44 pm

Sorry about the confusion I introduce by mixing termonolgies. I mean the particle, not the emitter. FTR, I managed to have the particle's color change over lifetime, but saw no change to the transparency.
If I want to just change the particle's tranparency over lifetime, what of the options should I choose? Is there any tutor out there, dealing specifically with this?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]