FORUMS: list search recent posts

Second/Home Network Computer = Faster PI?

COW Forums : particle Illusion

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Knight
Second/Home Network Computer = Faster PI?
on Nov 25, 2009 at 10:01:28 pm

I've toyed with this idea for a bit but don't know enough about it.
The basic question is:

A -- Can one substantially lighten the load on PI (and/or an NLE) by hooking up another computer as extra CPU muscle?

B -- If so, how and - what would be the most affordable way to go?

This is kind of a segue from previous issue of slow FPS due to background videos in PI. So the prequel question to even considering this idea would be:

-- Would such a setup actually help improve this situation or not?

My current one stand-alone system specs are:

- XP Home 32 bit
- Pentium D 2.8 Ghz
- As much RAM as 32 bit allows < 4 Gb.)
- Multiple 7200 rpm SATA2 drives

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
Re: Second/Home Network Computer = Faster PI?
on Nov 29, 2009 at 2:15:14 pm

No. There's no distributed rendering in pIllusion.

Alan.

http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
on Oct 30, 2011 at 12:27:21 am

But is there Network Rendering? You say no "Distributed Rendering." I can't get PI to work with my AE 5.0 Render Queue Jobs sent to my farm machines. I get blank frames. I've run the installation on my farm machines and it appeared to go just fine. I tried to activate those nodes but nothing happened. I tried to Manually Activate those Hosts on the Activation Site and it said it couldn't find the Activation Code.

How do I set that up please? I guess I should have asked that question before I purchased the app last night to finish up a job.

Asus P5K-Deluxe - Intel Core2 Extreme QX6850 - 8GB DDR2 1066Mhz -ATI FireGL V8600 - 3D Studio (preMax) thru Max 2011 Design

Return to posts index

Alan Lorence
on Oct 31, 2011 at 12:24:46 pm

The previous poster was talking about the standalone application version of particleIllusion.

In After Effects you should be able to use pI on your farm without activation. I assume you mean AE CS5, not AE 5.0, right?

Alan.

Alan Lorence
Product Manager
GenArts, Inc.
http://www.genarts.com
http://www.wondertouch.com

Return to posts index

Rob Holmes
on Oct 31, 2011 at 2:44:28 pm

Yes, AE CS5. I think we are already talking privately. I appreciate it. I'll try your suggestions:

Try two things:

1) Delete the emseldata.dat file that is in Documents/wondertouch/pIAE

2) Reset your AE prefs. Restart AE while holding down the Command + Option + Shift keys (Mac) or Control + Alt + Shift (Windows), and you are presented with an option to delete the preferences.

Then open AE, add pIAE and things should be back to normal (emitter selection dialog should show).

Asus P5K-Deluxe - Intel Core2 Extreme QX6850 - 8GB DDR2 1066Mhz -ATI FireGL V8600 - 3D Studio (preMax) thru Max 2011 Design

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]